Dispute with Rental Property Managment Company

addob

Hi All,

Looking for some help. We moved out of our rented apartment last month and our deposit has not been returned in full due. We wish to dispute this and/or file a complaint against this company. Does anyone know who we could/should contact?

Thanks,
addob

Hi All,

Looking for some help. We moved out of our rented apartment last month and our deposit has not been returned in full due. We wish to dispute this and/or file a complaint against this company. Does anyone know who we could/should contact?

Thanks,
addob

Why is there a dispute? There's obviously an issue

Why is there a dispute? There's obviously an issue

I believe we should have received the entire deposit returned, they're saying that no we shouldn't. It's over the place being cleaned. I was told clearly not to clean it and now they're telling me it should have been cleaned.
Dispute, issue, regardless we diasgree.
Although I'm still waiting for them to get back to me regarding what I was told. Hopefully they will admit they told me not to clean the place and I won't have to worry.

I believe we should have received the entire deposit returned, they're saying that no we shouldn't. It's over the place being cleaned. I was told clearly not to clean it and now they're telling me it should have been cleaned.
Dispute, issue, regardless we diasgree.
Although I'm still waiting for them to get back to me regarding what I was told. Hopefully they will admit they told me not to clean the place and I won't have to worry.

Have a look at www.prtb.ie

They help resolve disputes between landlords and tenants.
Obviously you have the management company in the middle but the principal is still the same. When you say "clean" what exactly do you mean? I would expect an apartment to be handed back clean and tidy...but not spotless. If it just requires a quick once over there's no issue. But if you've left it requiring to be professionally cleaned then I'd imagine they're well within their rights?

If you have a problem with your landlord over returning your rent deposit, check out the Private Residential Tenancies Board's disputes procedures

DISPUTE RESOLUTION

One of the functions of the PRTB is to resolve disputes between landlords and tenants. Since December 2004, the PRTB's dispute resolution service has been operational. The service involves mediation, adjudication and tenancy tribunal hearings and replaces the courts for the majority of landlord and tenant disputes.

Dispute cases are processed as efficiently as possible. The length of time it takes to process a dispute varies from case to case and depends on the nature of the dispute, the complexities of the issues involved, the timeliness of documentation submitted by the parties and the stages involved.

In resolving a dispute, mediation agreements and adjudication decisions which are not appealed become a binding determination order of the PRTB. The Tribunal determination of a dispute is also binding if not appealed to the High Court within 21 days.
The Residential Tenancies Act 2004(pdf) contains far reaching reforms of the private rented sector.

A large portion of the Act came into operation on 1 September 2004, including:
improved security of tenure through a system of 4-year tenancy cycles;
new tenancy termination procedures that involve longer notice periods linked to length of tenancy;
establishment of a statutory Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB);
a new system of tenancy registration with the PRTB;
voluntary renunciation of the right to long-occupation equity leases;
higher penalties for offences relating to standards and registration of private rented accommodation;
and extension of local authority powers to address anti-social behaviour.

The remainder of the Act came into force on 6th December 2004.
These include provisions for a new dispute resolution service through the PRTB instead of the Courts, involving mediation or adjudication and tenancy tribunal hearings. They also include provisions setting out clearly the statutory tenancy obligations of landlords and tenants and providing that landlords will not be entitled to seek a rent greater than the market rate and that rent reviews (whether up or down) may not occur more than once a year unless warranted by a substantial change in the nature of the accommodation.

Tenancies in existence on 1st September 2004 became 'Part 4 tenancies' on 1st March 2005 unless a valid Notice of Termination was served before that date. Part 4 tenancies can only be terminated by the landlord on specified grounds (in accordance with the Act) and by either party by Notice of Termination under the Act in accordance with section 62. Unless terminated, they last for 4 years from their commencement date or from 1st September 2004, whichever is later. The notice period required to terminate a tenancy that has lasted between one month and two years is 42 days. If a fixed term tenancy is due to expire during the existence of a Part 4 tenancy and the tenant intends to remain in occupation, the tenant must, during the 2nd last or 3rd last month of the fixed term, notify the landlord of that intention to continue the tenancy.

Last edited:
Thanks,
The fact that the place needed to be cleaned is not being disputed, and there were already cleaners booked into clean the apartment after we'd left. My problem is that I was told that these cleaners were being paid for by our landlord and we left the apartment in order to accomidate them coming in before the holidays. I had every intention of leaving the place spotless but was told that it wasn't necessary to clean it at all as they needed the place urgently and would have it done at the landlord's expense. I suppose it's my word against them, but the place was by no means a disaster, I even had the carpets cleaned the weekend before we moved out.
Thanks for the info, hopefully it will sort itself out, it's not a lot of money but it's more that they had specifically said not to.
addob

Have a look at www.prtb.ie
But if you've left it requiring to be professionally cleaned then I'd imagine they're well within their rights?

Between tennants, the landlord should always expect to get the house professionally cleaned, at his own expense, even if the tennant leaves it in a good state.
The new tennants will not want to share the remains of the dirt from the previous tennants.
For example the last time I moved out of a rented apartment, I spent 8 hours cleaning it, and left it in a very good state, but the landlord still planned on paying for professional cleaners to really blitz the place - clean any trace of grease off the inside of the oven, ensure all the grout on tiles is spick and span, no dust caught in skirting boards, shampoo carpets etc.

The use of the term "management company" here is confusing. Normally that applies to the company usually comprising the housholders (resident or not) as shareholders/members which manages the development (e.g. oversees shared services such as maintenance, waste management etc.) and which often engages a management agent on a contractual basis to carry out day to day management tasks. Normally a tenant would have no direct dealings with the management company. In particular the management company would not deal with rent payable by the tenant to the landlord. However in this case I presume that it refers to the company who is managing affairs on behalf of the specific landlord in question? Perhaps you can clarify.

I wasn't sure what to call them, the landlord doesn't deal directly with the tenants of the apartment (us), he hired a company to manage the place, ie. collect rent, and questions or queries would go through them. Property professionals, or estate agents don't quite explain their role either.

Back