Motor Disgusted with insurance quotes.

As previously stated, an extra €450 because rates have increased by insurers. Why? Possible investment losses, higher claims, and in a recession empirical data shows more people likely to claim so................rates go up! And thats it!

As previously stated, an extra €450 because rates have increased by insurers. Why? Possible investment losses, higher claims, and in a recession empirical data shows more people likely to claim so................rates go up! And thats it!

Exactly...premiums are invested and the returns are used to pay claims and give a return to investors. Given that the proverbial has fallen out of the market(s), it's only natural that premiums will rise. But the OP could try and be more efficient and not have a young guy driving a 2L BMW.

its my car, I have worked hard to have it, its not a porche and because its diesel its was bought because it is easier to run, no way son could buy and insure a car on his earnings [yes a young guy who gets off his ass and works rather than taking the dole [that nearly pays more] and its a small bit of support to allow him to drive my car to work or I drive him] and who is buying a 03 second hand car these days? again its about being able to get to work too! i know this going round in circles. its now paid for and i have bit the bullet, my main reason for posting was say out loud we are being ripped off and you may think its outrageous for us to pay this but is it not outrageous for them to think of a number and treble or quadruple it?

Just gone with MCL Insurance Ltd, underwriters AIG. 308euro for self & hubby, in our thirties. Cheapest I could get, best other quote was 380euro! Our renewal was 464euro with company we were with for past 7 years. Keep shopping around folks!

That who we went with - have everything else with them and they do try their best, they are only brokers at the end of the day cant do anything to stop insurance companies ripping us all off!

its my car, I have worked hard to have it, its not a porche and because its diesel its was bought because it is easier to run, no way son could buy and insure a car on his earnings [yes a young guy who gets off his ass and works rather than taking the dole [that nearly pays more] and its a small bit of support to allow him to drive my car to work or I drive him] and who is buying a 03 second hand car these days? again its about being able to get to work too! i know this going round in circles. its now paid for and i have bit the bullet, my main reason for posting was say out loud we are being ripped off and you may think its outrageous for us to pay this but is it not outrageous for them to think of a number and treble or quadruple it?

You talking about a whole load of different things at once. Not all relevent to the subject.

a 2L BMW is not a basic car. Something like a '99 1L Micra is. Thus premiums and increases will be more. Ditto if you load the policy up with a named young driver without their own insurance. Driving on mother/dads policy is something that insurance companies were wise to decades ago. Also driving to work is one thing, but driving around 32 countries is hardly that. There has to be loading for that too. Your insurance is not straight forward. Thats why its expensive.

The implication that people on the JB/JA don't get off their ass is offensive tbh. its got nothing to do with the subject. Either is driving without insurance. Either you can afford it or you can't. If you can't don't drive. While I agree the insurance industry is a shambles there is no transparency in pricing and they simply charge as much as they can. But thats the Govt fault for not controlling it. But thats a different subject to the above.

Ok last chance to try and make myself understood [and apologies for any spelling mistakes]
I have worked for 30 odd years, drive a 6 year old car, [son was not driving when car was bought, tried to sell car to smaller engine to reduce costs of insurance but thanks to changes in omissions nobody will buy a 03 car-so stuck there]
Car insured for 32 counties not countries [hence the apology] Now I feel like the queen of Persia with my swanky car looking down from a great height [ha don’t think so!]
Son takes my car to work or I drive him on my way to work and yes I do feel peeved that when he is trying to do the right thing he is encouraged to be less than honest let us say and not by his parents.
Yes it is the Insurance companies and the government that have created this mess, and we: A- pay the insurance companies and are totally ripped off and B- vote in a government that cant get any house in order!
Affording insurance doesn’t come into it when you live in the country, it is a necessity and I do pay it, but as they say most highway men had the decency to wear a mask.
Young people are not the full problem [I am not saying that there is no issues with young guys and cars – not a total fool] but the bigger problem in Ireland at this point in time is non-insured drivers- created by crazy insurance premiums! Its fact not fiction.

See again you are just dragging things off in too many directions. Insurance is as much a necessity in the city as it is the country. Dont be fooled by public transport. And the problem is not non-insured drivers. Nor are premiums necesssarily crazy. Yes a 23 year old with no experience buying a 2 litre car should have to pay a large premium. We all had to do it. You have to start somewhere and if you cant afford it than you dont start to drive.

Yes I know but go back to start €450 increase on a policy that is in place 3 yrs and I mean what I say NO changes in circumstances, you will be telling me next its because they have given their staff an amazing pay rise, ops! did I say staff or did I mean management!

They are trying to make more money it's a business at the end of the day. As a consumer. You show your dissapproval by taking your business elsewhere.

yes I know but do you not think it is a bit of a cartel here in Ireland what happened to the open European market, same policy in France €1285 saving €915. Got my sister to get a quote just out of nosiness!

Your comparing a country with 4million vs one with 60million.

Economy of scale

There's things you can do to reduce your quote

Ring around them all
Increase your excess
Have a small engine
Put other cars house with the same company
Make sure all named drivers have their own policies
Buy on the Internet can have a discount

oh gd another handling! have hubbys van with them and my office insurance so need to check this out asap!

Anniemac what is the % increase on last year?

I understood your son was just being young in his remark re insurance, that's the way young people talk.

I must admit when I first drove my parent's car at their request I had no insurance, was underage, and had no money whatsoever for sweets never mind insurance. I also drove tractors on the roads when very young when saving the hay etc. But that was a different Ireland.

What about medical cost of the uninsured and the people they injure?

No one is immune to having an accident.

Back