Discussion of Roadmap for reopening Irish society and business

Status
Not open for further replies.

odyssey06

Opening a thread for discussion of the the Roadmap for reopening Irish society and business.

I found this significant from Phase 3, due to start 29th June:
* open non-essential retail outlets with street level entrance and exit

This suggests to me a concern about stairwells and lifts.

Last edited:
It looks like 20th July is the target date to start a short holiday season. If all goes according to plan travel restrictions within the country would be lifted and tourist accommodation would start to open. It's also the target date for reopening of hairdressers, there'll be great demand for their services when they re-open.

It's clear that if there's any concerns about an increase in infection the plan will be paused or stepped back to earlier phases. I wonder if there is potential for accelerating it if infection levels are low or if other countries are successful in implementing more radical plans.

I found this significant from Phase 3, due to start 29th June:
* open non-essential retail outlets with street level entrance and exit

This suggests to me a concern about stairwells and lifts.

According to the full roadmap document, that means outlets not in an enclosed shopping centre.

I don't see any specific mention of Government Services - PassPort Offices, NDLS / NCTS Centres, LA Offices, etc. Is Leo intending to leave them closed?

A tiny chunk of light at the end of a very long tunnel.
Pubs to re-open on August 10th provided there is no second wave ...

I think the international situation will be relevant. If mainland Europe opens up far sooner we will be under huge pressure to follow suite and vice versa if they are much slower.
I read somewhere that in some phase the travel limit would be 200km. Now that would be really silly. You can go to Limerick (from Dublin) but not Tralee.
Seems no chance of getting a holiday abroad this year. I suppose in terms of Balance of Payments tourism cuts both ways for Ireland.

It looks like 20th July ... the target date for reopening of hairdressers, there'll be great demand for their services when they re-open.

I booked my appointment this morning at 9:30! Salon phone not working, but I happened to have the stylists private phone number. I booked in for the works! Can’t wait! :)

It doesn’t mention nail bars here, unless I’ve missed it.

Marion

Note that health minister Simon Harris has said foreign travel for the Irish public is looking “highly unlikely this year”...
Even if the travel advice did change and people could book holidays abroad, they would still have to self isolate for two weeks upon their return, he said.

I still plan for holidays abroad and I do not mind self isolation afterwards.

I see Portugal is in more or less the same situation as Ireland similar number of deaths ,confirmed casse and population, it is also like us beside a highly populous and affected country like Spain. Yet it is opening everything up much faster than Ireland, hairdresses, bars and restaurants are starting to open in may. Are we being too conservative surely we need to speed everything up a bit.

IMO Roadmap won't be implemented as is because;
1. the EU countries opening up faster will succeed, and we will follow their example faster and faster, or
2. The others will get themselves into Covid trouble and we'll have to postpone and postpone .....
It's good that we are not 1st to open as we have one of the worst Health Set-ups in EU, that the OECD says only Luxembourg spends more per head.
PS , they could have done more for over 70s, ie. drive to Golf even if 5km+ , and open hairdressers a week or two early for 70+ ( I'm not a grey-golfer)

It's good that we are not 1st to open as we have one of the worst Health Set-ups in EU,
Perhaps the silver lining in our ICU capacity and testing shortcomings necessitating a lockdown extension is that there is at least the possibility that we will observe and learn what works for other countries.

Article in today's Sindo which quotes a Prof Moynihan as pointing out that social distancing is by far the most effective measure in containing this virus. And that kinda makes sense to me though I have this amateur hunch that face masks reinforce the effectiveness of social distancing.

In an extensive survey of many different countries' approach it is shown that they all are achieving more or less the same level of success. They all require social distancing but the methods range widely from Sweden's voluntary approach to various forms of lockdown. We are in the lockdown category. But lockdown is only the means to an end - the end is social distancing.

In that respect the roadmap doesn't make much sense to me. The most unconvincing requirement is the restriction on travel. Travelling in a car for 200km poses no risk whatsoever per se. But it seems Nphet believes that restricting travel will contribute to reducing social distancing i.e. put manners on us.

In a few weeks time construction sites, DIY stores and repair shops will be allowed to open provided they have social distancing. Why do we have to wait? And so on. By the end of the road map many activities will be nominally open but social distancing is here to stay.

Sweden have it right - social distancing possibly with mask should be the only imposition from central government. All other restrictions are in place towards that end because Nphet do not trust the populace to apply social distancing without these measures.

Last edited:
In a few weeks time construction sites, DIY stores and repair shops will be allowed to open provided they have social distancing. Why do we have to wait?

yes exactly, I think the costs and benefits of every extra week of this, with zero revenue and central government paying Covid payments etc has to be much higher up the priority list. For now they are able to easily borrow the money from the bond markets, but what about next year ??, surely we need to keep alot of powder dry to get the economy back on its feet rather than spending it all now on things that probably have very little benefit in stopping the infection.

Why do we have to wait?
The R nought is below 1 and ICU occupancy is falling so it seems the likely reason we have to wait is that the testing regime isn't yet in place, for the early detection of flareups . . to prevent a leap in cases which would result in the paltry number of available ICU beds filling up in a heartbeat.

If NPHET were the permanent government we would;
have a ban on alcohol sales
a ban on cigarettes
a ban on sugary drinks and sweets
rationing of our daily intake of carbohydrates, proteins etc.
etc. etc.
This is not a criticism of NPHET, it is precisely what we would expect if we put a group of medical experts in charge.
But Gocernment needs to take a much broader and proportionate perspective.

Last edited:
There will be some traffic on the roads on 21st July, they'd nearly want to stagger that in some way. Think I'll leave at 2 in the morning for my trip :)

The Re-Opening has already begun. Two days ago (Sunday of Bank Holiday) I had my usual walk, but at 3.00pm (not my usual 10.00am). I can safely say I saw more cars flying past than even on a normal Sunday this time last year. Certainly, there were people visiting houses, converging on beauty spots in numbers etc. I even came on a back-up of traffic on a roundabout with a turn off for public walks/beaches. Not only were these places not within 2kms but not even within 5kms. We've been so conscious of the emergency up to then and showed the rest of europe how people should behave in such a pandemic. Suddenly, that's all stopping now.

Covid-19 Cuid-a-Dó is about to start - no doubt about it, if we continue the way we are now.

The Re-Opening has already begun. Two days ago (Sunday of Bank Holiday) I had my usual walk, but at 3.00pm (not my usual 10.00am). I can safely say I saw more cars flying past than even on a normal Sunday this time last year. Certainly, there were people visiting houses, converging on beauty spots in numbers etc. I even came on a back-up of traffic on a roundabout with a turn off for public walks/beaches. Not only were these places not within 2kms but not even within 5kms. We've been so conscious of the emergency up to then and showed the rest of europe how people should behave in such a pandemic. Suddenly, that's all stopping now.

Many people seem to have already jumped to Phase 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back