discolured, musty kitchen carcass

elainem

Just bought an old house, where the vendors replaced the doors of the kitchen cupboards, which are lovely and modern. However, the carcasses are really discolured and yellowed inside. Also, they smell quite musty. Don't want to replace the kitchen due to hassle and expense, as it is quite a large kitchen, also, I like the new kitchen doors, but has anyone any suggestion how I can whiten and clean the inside of the cupboards, or can I cover them with anything? Also, what would get rid of the smell? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Not sure of the best way but you could do what Mrs. SLF does with out old kitchen presses.

When we first moved in here she washed all the cupboards out with bleach then dried them throughly it did the trick for us.

Off topic
Sometime in the future when I have the cash I'm going to take the old ones out then put new ones in.
I'll design it myself and get a manufacturer to make them to spec.

Sugarsoap to get all the grease and possible smoke off them. Then maybe the bleach which was already sugested after this

Sugar soap is great, I'd second that.

The insides of my kitchen cupboards were also a bit chipped in places, so I went all retro and lined them with wallpaper - I got a lovely cream/white one with a kind of shimmer pattern in same colour, looks grand for my style of kitchen.

Edited to add - for the smell, try putting cups of bread soda there for a while to absorb the smell, or loose teabags - it works for paint smells so might work for a musty smell too.

Thanks a mil. Think I will try the sugarsoap and bleach. Never thought of the breadsoada. I know somebody who linked cupboards with wallpaper, so might try this if the bleach and sugarsoap don't work.

Back