Disability benefits and working part time

ggirl

Hi. I am currently in hospital for treatment of severe bipolar disorder causing primarily recurrent depressive episodes. It has got to the stage where it is looking like I may have to stop working full time and go part time. Luckily this is an option in my current role so I am not having to worry about the actual job but I do about how on earth to make ends meet. I have a mortgage (in arrears but am working with the bank about this) and I live alone (1 bed apt).
My query is this: does anyone know about disability benefit for a person with a mental illness and is there scope for working part time if you are given it?
Please let me make clear I am no skiver. I have worked full time since I was 19 (17 years) with one small period of unemployment (about 3 months) and have held down work despite chronic mental illness. Unfortunately it has got to a point where this seems no longer sustainable and I am having to face up to a different kind of life. I cannot go to CIC as I am in hospital. There may be a social worker here who can advise me but I have not got to see her yet. Many thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Back