Disability benefit, stamps entitlement

F

fridayguy

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

My wife is ill and needs to take some weeks off work; employer doesn't pay for sick days so she's applying for Disability Benefit.

It seems she won't quite meet the PRSI contributions requirements (see however.

My question is: can she use _my_ stamps to meet these criteria, as I would have enough stamps paid in the relevant tax year? I know certain other Social Welfare areas allow this to be done, but there's no mention of it at the link above or on the form itself.

Thanks

stamps

NO as far as I know you can not transfer "stamps".If your wife is in her first job,she may be entitled to pre-entry credits & sometimes they forget to take these into account.Your wife is also entitled to apply for supplementary welfare allowance in her situation but this is severly means tested & will take your income into account.

Re: stamps

If she does not qualify for PRSI linked Disability Benefit then she may qualify for means and medical tested Disability Allowance. See here for more on these including qualifying criteria. There's also some information about PRSI credits (including the pre-entry credits mentioned above) here. If in doubt consider contacting your local who can apprise your wife of her entitlements. Are you sure that you can transfer PRSI credits for certain welfare benefits (other than spouse's contributory pension based on a pre-deceasing spouse's PRSI contributions and the like)? I couldn't find anything obvious on this on the Department of Social & Family Affairs website.

Re: stamps

Thanks very much for the replies.

She's not in her first job so pre-entry credits won't apply, and she won't qualify for Allowance based on a means test.

> Are you sure that you can transfer PRSI credits for certain
> welfare benefits (other than spouse's contributory pension

Not any more! I'm unsure where I got this idea - I thought that she had her eyes tested (or teeth looked at?), at least, for a reduced rate based on my stamps a few years ago, but I could have been dreaming.

Ah well, we'll just have to wait for our modest savings to run out, then we'll pass the means test.

Back