Disability and HIV/AIDS

D

david9

If disability occurs due to the HIV/AIDS, what will be the payment procedure on the part of the insurance companies? Could anyone have any idea?

Really depends on each individual policy. I don't know of any that exclude it and i don't see why they should but most do have exclusions in relation to ill health brought on by drink or drugs etc. Before i get jumped on and at the risk of offending i'm not trying to say somebody with HIV/ AIDs became infected this way - just if it was because of drug use (contaminated needles) I would suspect the insurance company would argue the point.

Individual PHI specifically excludes HIV/AIDS. Group schemes may cover this illness.

Life assurance proposals and underwriting generally seek actively to identify high risk groups and they may find cover more expensive due to loadings or even impossible to get.

Thanks for your replies guys......
But consider for an example that someone get disabled because of HIV and it is not surely written on the prescription right! So how could it be possible to know for the insurance companies that the particular patient has died of AIDS? And then how would the claims be met? thanks in advance.

Yea, you are right RS2K. But to become confirm one needs to test the blood thrice in an interval of 3 months. Two +ve reports out of 3 ensures the serostatus.

I've no experience with a declined HIV/AIDS PHI claim, but would imagine the insurers would be quite thorough investigating one.

Yes, but in an individual PHI case, HIV/AIDS is specifically excluded. Whether pre existing or otherwise the presence of HIV will mean the claim will not be paid.

Back