Disability allowance

S

seanocasey

Need Advice. Not sure where to go or what to do. Very worried.

At present I am receiving Disability Allowance as I am now disabled unable to work again.
Will be selling my present home shortly with ex and my share will be approx € 180000
Would it be better to purchase VOLINTARY CONTRIBUTIONS so I can claim Invalidity pension as I have only 80 stamps need 260 I think. Was self employed.

I am hoping that I can purchase affordable house or APT with money received from sale of house.
Will my Social Welfare stop when I sell house.

This was copy and pasted from DSFA site and relates to
State Pension (Non-Contributory) (SPNC)
Was wondering if this also applies to my circumstances
Exemption from means of the sale proceeds of your home
If you are living in accommodation which no longer suits you or which you are no longer able to maintain, you may be able to sell your home and move to more suitable accommodation without the sale proceeds affecting your weekly means. The proceeds of the sale up to €190,500.00 may be disregarded when assessing your weekly means.

This is a very stressful time for me and at present

You need to already have 260 contributions paid in order to pay voluntary contributions. see here. It is highly unlikely that the proceeds of the sale of the house would be assessed as means iin the interim period f you are planning to purchase another residence. If you don't purchase within a reasonable period, then the capital will be assessed.
From the website:

"Where a person has offered his/her home for sale, the value of the property is not assessed as means for a period not more than two years from the date on which the property was first offered for sale. This exemption was introduced on 7th September 1995. If the property remains unsold after 2 years, the normal capital value is assessed thereafter."

Back