Disability Allowance question

Thanks for the reply.

No she's never worked. She can't work.. she can't be on her feet for long or walk long distances, with her condition she would probably be hard to get insurance if she worked anywhere... A few years back she tried to look for work but couldn't find anything. She's about to become a mothers as well so she won't be looking for work.

She's in her early 30's .. can you claim pension at that age ? ..

In the manner you are describing her disabilities, I am wondering how she is going to be able to manage parenting. It's one of the hardest jobs out there, if she can manage that I an sure she could manage a part time office role where she is not on her feet so much.

parenting will be hard.. but you don't need insurance to parent.. While her mobility is limited she is also a risk of hurting herself.. She's been in hospital for a long time.

Yes she is entitled to receive certain benefits, but these benefits are means tested.

Can you read my comment again.... I said "So am I right in saying that a disabled person who can not work and has a partner earning over X amount is not entitled to anything off the state ?"

If the X in this case is my wages... am I right in saying she is not entitled to anything ? ... or as you said would something else be looked at.. ?

-- would everything she might be entitled be means tested against my wages and then removed. ?

Dave29 - As already outlined above if the household means are greater than €312.80 then your partner no longer qualifies for disability allowance. A quick calculation of your annual income indicates a weekly wage of circa €600 so you are well above the means test limit. Please note there are many families with children surviving on much less than this figure every week.

The only solution for both of you is to continue to live in separate residences until such time you have the money saved to buy the home of your dreams. I don't think you both moving in with your parents is a good idea, social welfare would eventually pick up on it and it would be classed as fraud, she be better keeping her one bed-roomed council property. In addition there is every likelihood your parents may not want both of you moving in on top of them.

thanks for your reply.

Was anything else you could claim for ? or where you just cut off completely ? Instantly cut off, as my spouse's new earnings are quite high, any means tested payments reduce to nil. I don't qualify for benefit based payments as my PRSI contributions are not the required recency. Having said that, we are better off financially now with the salary income.

Could she claim your tax credits ? She does indeed.

Was there anything out there to help you out ?
No.

Back