Wrong forum Direct Top Ups via a Third Party.

pudds

Not sure if here is the best forum for this......

I was querying a small prob I had with Meteor Broadband to Go direct top up when the rep mentioned that this service was handled by a third party.

I am not happy with an unknown 3rd party holding my Visa Debit card details and if ever there was a dispute, who would be responsible.....(Meteor or 3rd Party) so I have unregistered by card.

Is it common practice for major companies to use a 3rd party for processing direct top ups and if so should the customer not be made aware of this and also who is responsible should error(s) occur?

The rep may have been mistaken or lying.

Meteor have obligations under the Data Protection Act. It's possible that some of these obligations are not being met.

If there was a problem it would be between you and Meteor, especially if it isn't common knowledge that a third party is involved.

It is a fact that Meteor have wilfully broken the law before, and continue to do so. For example, they charged 21.5% VAT in January 2010 for billed customers despite the fact that the VAT rate was 21%, they refused to provide a refund and incredibly they claim that they have never applied an incorrect VAT rate, even though this is contradicted by the Revenue website, which deals specifically with 'billed telecommunications services', which is about as specific as you can get.

.. also COMREG published a report in July 2007 (Comreg 07/49) stating that all broadband operators operating in Ireland at that time were non-compliant with compulsory legislation.. unfortunately COMREG have done nothing since despite being obliged under law to ensure compliance. So Comreg are doing a Pat Neary / Financial Regulator light touch regulation job, and ignoring their duties and obligations. Eamonn Ryan (the Minister with responsibility) doesn't even consider this issue worthy of a response.. which is quite incredible considering that the laws being broken today were introduced in 2002 or 2003, and they have never been observed.

I suppose I should add that COMREG have deemed only one contract to be legally formed in this country, that's out of 1.2 million contracts.. the only legally formed contract happens to be my own, despite the fact that it's clearly illegally formed, and also despite the fact that it's the same as all other Vodafone contracts, which have been stated by COMREG to be illegally formed. Of course there isn't much that can be done about this, as COMREG and Eamonn Ryan ignore the issue...the one thing that can be done is that a complaint can be lodged with the EU, this is something that I did many months ago but nothing has happened since, although I do have a case number and it is being investigated by the European Commission. Ireland may end up with a fine, as it is a fact that COMREG are ignoring their duties, and refusing to ensure compliance with the law as they are obliged to do under law.

In short, the Irish telecommunications industry is rotten to the core, in my opinion.

Cheers so,

Thanks JB for that insight into things and it is much appreciated.....I think I'll stick with voucher top ups in the case of Meteor anyway.

Back