Direct Debit

whattodo?

To cut a long story short, I have a loan with Halifax and my current account with BOI. A direct debit for Halifax came out of my account yesterday, however, this should have been rejected as I put a laser payment through at the weekend which would have left me with not enough money in my account to cover the loan payment.
BUT, the laser transaction is still showing up as Laser Tx and pushed the transaction to todays date as if I was debited today. In the meanwhile the direct debit for the loan was paid in full yesterday and shows my account ending balance as in credit postion as of yesterday.

The Halifax are fine with me missing this payment and I will pay the full amount back next month aswell as my normal payment. However, this has left me overdrawn in my current account and no money for the month.

Is there anything that BOI can do to reject the Direct debit even though it was paid yesterday???

To cut a long story short, I have a loan with Halifax and my current account with BOI. A direct debit for Halifax came out of my account yesterday, however, this should have been rejected as I put a laser payment through at the weekend which would have left me with not enough money in my account to cover the loan payment.
BUT, the laser transaction is still showing up as Laser Tx and pushed the transaction to todays date as if I was debited today. In the meanwhile the direct debit for the loan was paid in full yesterday and shows my account ending balance as in credit postion as of yesterday.

The Halifax are fine with me missing this payment and I will pay the full amount back next month aswell as my normal payment. However, this has left me overdrawn in my current account and no money for the month.

Is there anything that BOI can do to reject the Direct debit even though it was paid yesterday???

In don't understand. You say you are showing a credit balance yet you say you are in overdraft. Which is it? It seems that you have inadvertently paid your loan payment for the montb and overspent via the laser transaction. Unlikely BOI will reverse the DD as it was met and paid.

No there is nothing you can do. If you didn't want to pay Halifax this month you should have contacted them to tell them not to present the direct debit. You cannot assume your bank will not pay a dd just because there is not enough money in your account. They will often put them through, rather than reject them, and charge you a fee called a referral fee.

Ring BOI and see will they reverse the DD. DDs can be reversed as I have had it done for me by phoning my bank - the last time I did it it was the day after the DD had been paid. I was told 4 pm the day after the DD was paid out was the deadline for reversing a DD. Tell them Halifax shouldn't have presented the DD as you had a different arrangement set up with them for a few months .

Thanks demoivre - I have called them and they are trying to reverse it, although its a call centre so got my fingers crossed. I have called back a few mins ago and they cant track the guy who was dealing with the issue....they have said that a reversal of a direct debit is possible or they will send an indemnity - I think its the bank asking for the money back.

No joy - They called me at 15.45 to say I need to go into a branch today to sign a form to get that unpaid - so annoyed, they got back to me to say that after 5 hours and the branch closes in 15 minutes!! Ridiculous service....

Back