Dilemma with tenant

Moon light

Hi, I am hoping for some advise on this issue,

A tenant moved in July 14, I increased the rent marginally one year later, Looking back I should have increased it to market value but I didn't as felt sorry for her, Looking back house was mess also but she pleaded with me and I let her remain in it. How foolish of me...

Now house is absolutely filthy - I understand that it is up to me to replace carpets and paint the walls, but do I have to have whole house deep cleaned, replace every single blind and curtain, get mantelpiece fixed, fix doors & completely redo the garden outside as it has been trashed,
Neighbours are also telling me that she has a lodger, I asked her and she did say that a sibling of hers does live there from time to time.
I am quite stressed over this and to top it all of she is also now paying 500 below market rent,
I just want to take back my house, redo it up, bring it back to its former glory and re-let it again,
I wouldn't be so annoyed if she was keeping it well but it upsets me to see the state of it,
I am on the verge of serving her an eviction notice as I want to do renovations to the house, Upgrade heating system, insulate attic, put down all new floors throughout, paint whole house, Put up new blinds, fix up garden, maybe put in new kitchen, Will this suffice as renovations ?
The eviction notice says that I have to offer the house back to her !!! Seems like there is nothing to protect the landlord here, Is there anyway around not having to offer the house back to her seeing as she has wrecked it, I am literally going to have to spend thousands on doing it up,

Also she wants to me sign a rent allowance form which I won't do due to the state of the house, She has also said that if I sign the rent allowance form, she will let me increase the rent by €125, I advised her this was illegal as I am only allowed to increase the rent by 4% and I am not in a position to do any increase until the 2 yrs are up which is July 17 and I have to give 90 days notice also so the new rent increase won't come into effect until Oct 17,
Is that right?
The last lease that was signed was in July 15, is there anyway I can terminate the tenancy in July 17 with the 90 days notice or does she have right to a part 4 tenancy ?

Sorry for all the questions but if someone can advise me I would appreciate any help/opinions,

tks

If you are now 500 below market rent, after you properly renovate it, isn't there a chance the tenant will now be priced out of it?
Or will have found somewhere cheaper during the renovations?

Also, take photos of the place prior to any renovations.
Do you have a case to retain the current deposit and seek another new - hefty deposit?
Is there anything to stop you looking now for a fresh deposit of 3 months? 6 months?
That might also deter the new tenant from returning.

If the place is as badly wrecked as you say it is, regardless of RPZ rules, would you have a case for eviction?

I think I do have a case for eviction but how do I know for sure ?
Should I get an estate agent out to look at it and see what they advise ?
Yes I think she would be priced out of it if I increased the rent to market levels, but then again who knows,
If I carry this through and issue the notice, can I get into trouble and be fined over this, ?

I'd recommend having a read of this... it covers grounds for eviction, retention of deposits, distinguishing between "damages" and "normal wear and tear".
https://www.irishlandlord.com/faq/managing/

I think you definitely need to take photos... you can just say you want to be able to show 'before' and 'after' for the renovations so you don't raise the suspicions of the tenant.
Any estimate of damages to be used for grounds for eviction or retention of deposit needs to come from an independent professional... maybe a surveyor would be better than an estate agent? Im not sure.

Last edited:
Just pray she doesn't decide to stop paying rent and just stay.
She can do that and you will be literally years getting her out.
It's not a good time to be a landlord.

Thanks for all replies, Am I right in saying that she has a right to the house for 4 yrs since July 14, ?
tks

Thanks for all replies, Am I right in saying that she has a right to the house for 4 yrs since July 14, ? tks

My reading of this says yes:
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave.html

You would need to act at the end of the 4 year cycle to prevent another one starting.

btw have there been complaints from neighbours about anti social behaviour - if the behaviour is severe?
If you can get complaints from neighbours that would strengthen your case for eviction.

Start process to get rid of her. String out the renovations for a few months if you can. Look for an address to send post to. Send all communications to her by registered-post, even if at current address - you need this for the PRTB which will come later in the process. Do everything by letter of law (read, re-read, read third time PRTB website and give extra days to all deadlines/windows in processes outlined there )

You will take a financial hit. But the pain is better now.

Tks Setanta - I will triple read everthing,
Do you think I should issue eviction notice myself or should I go through an estate agent, ?
Does anyone think my list of renovations are adequate ?
Odyssey the neighbours have just told me there is a lodger that's all - no anti social behaviour,
and I don't think they will speak up against her even though they are telling me to see if I can evict her,
She is not going to find another hse to rent at the price she has my house for, with 5 kids, a husband and a lodger, will she get a social house or end up in a hotel room, does anyone know? I am concerned about this as I don't want to see her homeless,

You are too kind :). The Council will have to house her seeing she has a husband and five kids. The lodger will have to fend for her/ himself.

It's your property, you got to look after your own interest, so don't be feeling guilty.

My view on this is that OP should jet the woman stay. The place is wrecked. So what. You'll have to pay for it anyway. So I'd do a lease with the increased rent, with that extra money being not rent, but a fee for the replacement of the damage. Take pictures and discuss with tenant. Then set that money aside to pay for the renovations when she leaves. I'd run that by the PRTB if I were you. In writing.

VERY hard to get a women with so many kids out. You don't want to go down that road and if you make her cross she might stop paying you rent altogether.

Tks so much everyone for all your advise, So I got an estate agent out to look at the house and he said it was a disgrace, and that I should move on getting her out as she has no respect for it and by leaving her there, I am allowing it to get into a worse condition than its already in.
I am now very much thinking of sending the eviction notice advising that I am renovating the house,
The estate agent is saying that because there is a lease in place since July 15, the tenant has a right to the house until July 17 and a further 3 mths which will be Oct 17, does anyone know if this is correct as I haven't read this anywhere,
Also I am unable to find the lease and I don't know if the tenant has hers either,

Well, you will have to decide whether you are going to seek to terminate the tenancy on the grounds that:

(a) your tenant has failed to fulfil her obligations to maintain the property in good order; or

(b) whether you wish to proceed on the "substantial refurbishment" ground (in which case your tenant has a right of first refusal if the property becomes available for letting within 6 months of the termination/resolution of an RTB adjudication).

The former entitles you to terminate the tenancy with 28 days' notice, although the notice can only be issued after a warning notice has issued giving the tenant a "reasonable opportunity" to remedy the breach.

The RTB website contains sample notices of termination:-
https://www.rtb.ie/dispute-resolution/dispute-resolution/sample-notices-of-termination

Either way, I would suggest that your agent needs to brush up on his understanding of the residential tenancy legislation!

As we have seen else where the best reason to give for termination is that you need the property for yourself or a family member.

You won't be able to relet for 6 months; but that might be preferable to a bad tenant overholding.

I'm not convinced that's the right option here Thirsty.

Moon Light would then have to give 56 days notice of termination and take property off the rental market for 6 months, assuming her tenant actually left at the end of the notice period (or risk the current tenant looking to re-let the property or subsequently making a complaint to the RTB).

I would have thought the "breach of tenant obligations" ground would be the better way to go.

Unfortunately, I suspect it's probably inevitable that this is going to end up going to adjudication with the RTB and, ultimately, it will wind it's way through the Courts until an eviction order is secured and enforced by the Sheriff. That will take months so the shorter the notice period at the outset the better (termination for breach of tenant obligations only requires 28 days' notice).

And a woman and her kids with long faces pictured on the front of the indo with a headline like.

Cruel landlord evicts poor family.

TV3 will probably also make a TV doc about you.

At least a writeup in the journal .

Seriously though, this is why a lot of my friends don't let to people with kids. It's the potential for undeserved bad press should they need to evict them.

Seems like there is not much in favour of the landlord in these situations, I have certainly learnt my lesson and won't be letting to such a big family again, if I wait until her part 4 tenancy is over - do I still have to give a reason for not renewing her tenancy ?

I suspect it's probably inevitable that this is going to end up going to adjudication with the RTB and, ultimately, it will wind it's way through the Courts until an eviction order is secured and enforced by the Sheriff.
exactly - which is why it's better to say it's for your own/family use; at least with the 6 months vacancy you have a known fixed loss. Not an unknown, and increasing-by-the-day loss.

The 'own use' termination cannot be contested.

Back