Dilemma! Avensis diesel or Corolla petrol?

malk33

Im buying a car and am torn between the following:
04 Corolla 1.4 petrol with 20,000mls for e14,300
03 Avensis 2l diesel with 45,000mls for e 15,000
Both are clean, well maintained cars from dealers. Im set on a toyota mainly because I have just sold a citroen xsara I practically had to give away after having endless problems with it and a fortune spent! I want a reliable car thats fairly comfortable and has good re-sale value. Bear in mind I cover about 20,000mls a year. I think i prefer the avensis but dont know which would be worth more in 3 years time.

Hi,

If you have a look at a site like Carzone.ie you'll see that high mileage dealer sold Avensis diesels hold their value well - some of them have huge mileage. I think that the Avensis will be a car that you can keep for a few years and add mileage without worrying too much about its retained value whereas the future buyer will have a better choice of lower mileage Corollas of the same year to choose from. The Avensis is a nicer car to drive and will be a bit safer if the unthinkable happens (just because its bigger and heavier - nothing wrong with the Corolla). There is a bit of a disadvantage with road tax and insurance but it seems to me that depreciation is usually a much bigger factor than them.

You should be getting a half decent discount as a cash buyer.

Hope this helps.

I'd agree with Herbie above, I've worked for Toyota and I saw these car's every day, The 1.4 corolla is a lovely car but re-sale wise people always want low milage petrols, You will always sell a clean well minded dsl avensis, even the old type carina's are like gold dust for taxi men etc and the avensis is going that way. If you can aford the tax and ins go with the dsl. You'll get it back in fuel cost's.

Go for the Avensis- better engine, bigger car so more practical for years ahead, and plus the Corolla as a model is soon to be replaced by the Auris this year, so may go out of fashion. I always buy into the car...not the 'year' as most people for some unknown reason seem to do....I think it's very much an Irish disease because the year is so obvious on the number plate, it's become a status.

Its only the corolla hatchback is being replaced by the Auris Model.

They are keeping the Corolla name for the saloons but it has been updated and looks similar to the Avensis, supposed to be coming out in late February.

I sold my 01 Corolla petrol for 6K it had 115,000 miles on the clock.
It needed about 1k worth of work done for minor problems and needed new tyres.
It is due it's NCT next month.

Avensis has more advantages: bigger car, diesel engine and not many miles for a Toyota Diesel at that.
Only thing to check is how she was driven, was it pulling trailers etc?

Back