Home Digital SLR damaged, is it covered under contents?

S

Stanley1981

Hi,

Any advice is much appreciated - I have a Canon Digital SLR c.£400 sterling, nail varnish remover leaked on it and it now no longer works. I was wondering would this be covered by my home insurance? I am covered by Royal and Sun Alliance but it was not listed.

If so, will I need some sort of evidence to say it is dead. I have been quoted £60 by canon just to look at it. I don't want to waste money if it's not covered.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Any advice is much appreciated - I have a Canon Digital SLR c.£400 sterling, nail varnish remover leaked on it and it now no longer works. I was wondering would this be covered by my home insurance? I am covered by Royal and Sun Alliance but it was not listed.

If so, will I need some sort of evidence to say it is dead. I have been quoted £60 by canon just to look at it. I don't want to waste money if it's not covered.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a claim that would fall under 'accidental damage'

If you are covered for this (usually entails paying an additional premium) you can claim but your policy may also have an excess, i.e. the amount of any claim you have to cover yourself

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It says this as part of the policy:

Accidental Damage to Contents owned by any member of Your Household or for which they are responsible
This cover does not apply unless shown on the Schedule

Then the schedule says

The Excess shown on the Schedule
Damage to Personal Possessions and Money

Which is a bit confusing as aren't all contents personal possessions?

no they are not. There will be a definition of personal possesions in your policy wording. Every policy is different. Probably best just to submit your claim anyways and see what they say.

Sorry I went back to definitions, by personal possessions they mean jewellery etc. It's such a minefield.

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

If you have Accidental cover on your contents, it will be covered. Alternatively, if you have specified or unspecified all risks cover, again, it will be covered. However, you will have an excess, which may mean that you will obtain a relatively small amount from your insurers. You will then have to disclose this claim if you change insurers. They may refuse cover because of the previous claim and therefore, you may miss out on any financial benefit to be gained in changing insurers. In the current climate, having a claims history will hinder you in changing insurers so i would advise that if you are thinking of shopping around in the future for a more competitive premium, consider if it is worth claiming for such a relatively small amount.

Back