Digital Cameras

C

Casual

Hope someone can help!
Want to buy a digital camera for my boyfriend for Christmas. Would spend bw 250 -300 but havent a clue which brand, how many pixels, where to buy etc!

Any ideas??

Have a look at www.amazon.co.uk for reviews and possible purchase.

I myself have a Canon Powershot G3 (4 megapixels / excellent display screen) and it is more than adequate for the non-professional photographer.

Stay away from camera/phone combos, picture quality is very disappointing.

digital camera

I bought a Kodak Easishare basic model with just a digital zoom as opposed to digital and optical.3 million pixels.Photos printed thorugh online order and are very good quality.Only drawback was memory can only hold 16 photos at a time before transfer to a pc.One may buy a memory card but this is extra.I would suggest going for a model that can store more than 16 pics.Alternatively buy a memory card also which varies in price..one was 37 euro.The camera itself is the basic model and cost 140 euro.

Re: digital camera

Check out www.stevesdigicams.com for reviews of almost all the cameras out there, but bear in mind that the prices there will be in $ while the Irish market might have somewhat higher € prices, so don't use the prices as a guide.

The reviews are pretty detailed and standardised across models - you don't need to understand everything they are talking about, but it is pretty easy to spot when they are giving a bad review as they go for clear wording.

A rough guide (possibly a little dated) is that under 2 megapixels is not great quality and over 4 is probably better quality than you need (and you will pay for it).

Normally you want to go for something with optical zoom, but one user above has reported that they get satisfactory results with digital zoom.

All cameras come with some form of slot for removable memory - prices for various types vary but it will normally be a one-(or two)-off purchase so it doesn't make sense for a beginner to make their choice of camera based on the type/price of memory.

z

Re: digital camera

Just bought mt first digital camera, an Olympus mju410, after much research on the web. It is small, simple to use and comes with a 32mb memory card. Very pleased!

I have an olympus too .very happy with it
Dixons have an olympus for 199 reduced from 299 has 4 million megapixels
Couple of tips
You need to look at the pixels
4 and up is the new standard but 3.2 will do in most cases
Optical zoom is important the more the better
Mine has 3 optical This is more important and expensive than Digital zoom -Apparently a digitally zoomed picture can be a bit blocky tho havent noticed this in my photos
How much memory do you get ?really you need minimum 32mb

Heres a review of some cameras
www.techcentral.ie/techce...icture.xml

Excellent reviews and "buying guides" here.

For €200+, these days, you should be getting something pretty good. Check out the offerings from time to time in Lidl & Aldi, if you live near one? They're usually excellent value (you won't have heard of the brand), come with a 2- or 3-year warranty and if you decide you don't like it they are usually very good on the no-quibble returns...

Alternatively, if you can get someone to bring one back from the States you'll save at least 50%. Some of the best deals in the UK are to be had at www.7dayshop.com.

Whatever you buy, try to 'bundle' lots of extra memory — 64Mb minimum, if you're shooting at 3/4MP. And rechargeable batteries, if you buy a camera that takes standard AA/AAAs...

memory

2 most important things Ive found with using the digi cameras is battery duration and memory.
I had a hp850 with AA batteries and wouldnt get a day out of them, now have an hp R707 with rechargable battery and get 2-3 weeks out it before needing to recharge.
As for memory 32m is alright but if youre taking shots at 4-5m, then you'll need to unload the card after every 11-12 photos (which becomes annoying) so get a 256m or 512m card on shop4memory, Ive had next day delivery from them in dublin. (the SD and Flash memory links seems to be down on their site at the moment). The bigger card comes into its own if youre shooting video clips as well.
Someone told me during the week that dunnes stores are selling a decent camera for around 180-190e, I havent seen it myself and couldnt find anything on their site but could be worth a visit. Get that and a 512m card and he'll be happy enough.

Back