Digital cameras with a good optical zoom

redchariot

My current digital camera is banjaxed and the warranty already expired; not worth the cost to repair, so I am looking for a new one.

What I am looking is a camera with an optical zoom of x5 or better but at the same time still nice and compact. However I would prefer to get an Olympus or a Fuji as I bought a 1GB XD card (only compatible with the brands mentioned) for my previous camera and I really do not want to fork out for a another new memory card as well as a new camera

A number of Olympus cameras I came across are the FE-200, mju-740, mju-750; they look quite good but fairly expensive.

Has anybody any experience with the above cameras or any other good cameras with a good optical zoom

Have a look at reviews of the cameras you are interested in on these websites:-
[broken link removed]
http://www.dcviews.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/
Between all 4 you will have a very good idea of what you want...

I stayed away from the XD cards, because I was wary of damaging the card as its contacts get rubbed removing and inserting it into the camera. SD seems to be the new standard on most major manufactures and even Canon and Nikon are using them instead of Compact Flash now... Just my 2cents worth... I like the Panasonic and Nikon cameras as both have excellent lenses and I have never had any issues with either brand... Think I might try Canon next...

dpreview.com also has a handy [broken link removed] that allows you to put in your search criteria (including card format, max. price, etc.)

I've been using the same few xD cards in my [broken link removed] for three years now, and haven't had a problem. But I'll grant you SD cards are cheaper to buy.

1GB xD card: £11.99 + p&p
1GB SD card: £4.49 + p&p (admittedly an 'amazing "oneofakind" offer'...) :D

I have a Kodak p712. Great 12x zoom. I have wildlife in my garden (regular visits from squirrel, fox, etc) and have got superb pics. Also got a hot shoe to allow for external flash etc. Bought from Pixmania

I have a Panasonic FZ7 - much cheaper now than when I bought about a year ago. I bought the camera and cards via EBAY, new from Hong Kong - all arrived perfect and much cheaper tham buying here.

SD cards are also very cheap so don't let this contstrain your choice of camera. Got a 2gb SD card recently from a place in the UK for about 18-20 EURO all in.

Very happy with the camera, versatile, lots of scene modes, 6mp only, very nice pictures, 12x zoom or 19(ish)x if you take the camera down to 3mp.

I'd call it a camera for the enthusiastic amateur...

I would agree with Mark, I have a Panasonic FZ20 that i bought a few years ago, and i am still learning loads with it...

Maybe this range:

[broken link removed]

I have one of the older models that was the ancestor of this range, and can't fault it.

I don't know of too many cameras that are both compact and have a large zoom. The lenses needed to provide such a zoom are generally reasonably bulky. If you are interested in the super zoom category of camera here's a quick list (courtesy of Steves digicams) of what's available on the market : they all have 12X zoom at least.

Canon Powershot S3 IS*

Panasonic DMC-FZ50*

Nikon Coolpix S10*

Sony Cybershot H5*

Kodak Easyshare Z612*

Panasonic DMC-FZ7*

Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd

Sony Cybershot H2*

Olympus SP-510UZ

Kodak Easyshare P712*

* indicates optical image stabilisation

I bought the Canon S3 a month or so ago and it's a great camera - the zoom lens is amazing and it allows you a huge amount of creative control over the camera - much like a digital SLR. The main differences between this style of camera and an SLR are:
  • the size of the image sensor (larger on an SLR)
  • the ability to attach a large variety of lenses.

I have a Sony DSC H1 - it has 12x Optical zoom, it's quite compact but also packed with features. It takes a great shot from distance.

There is an updated version out - maybe the H2 ?

Worth a look anyway.

I've got an Olympus c70Z and I've found it to be pretty good. 5x optical zoom and 7.1 mp. I've read a few dodgy reviews of it recently that have said it's got problems focusing but I've found it ok.

Panasonic (Lumix) TZ1 has a Zeiss, 10X zoom. I don't count "digital" zoom...it's a memory saving con ! I got one on eBay for St£150

Back