Digital Camera - Fuji F50 Vs Canon IXUS 80

kellyj

Yet another post I hear ye say on Digital Cameras. Like many of the previous posts looking for a relatively cheap, easy to use etc. compact Digital Camera. Replacing a Fuji 460 which I recently lost. Had been very happy with that one. Did all the basic stuff an amateur like me wanted. Only real let down was taking pictures in low light (parties/weddings that sort of thing), which were often dull and/or blurred. Have done some web searches and came have narrowed it down to a couple of potential replacements.

1. Initial preference was for another Fuji finepix of which I like the look of the F50 (€144 plus shipping on pixmania).
  2. A reputable camera shop informed me today that the Canon IXUS range is the business, having no problem with low light shooting. They recommended the IXUS 75. On 7dayshop.com came across what appears to be an excellent deal for the IXUS 80, i.e. next level up, at GBP £149. If I then combine that with the always excellent bargains that site has on memory, cases (e.g. Lowepros bags for as little as £4.49) and spare batteries (generic but based on others I've purchased as good as the own brand equivalents) I can have it all for something like €220 including delivery.
Apologies then for all the ranting when all I really need to know is which one to go for - Fuji or Canon. Open of course to other suggestions.

Last edited:
Yet another post I hear ye say on Digital Cameras. Like many of the previous posts looking for a relatively cheap, easy to use etc. compact Digital Camera. Replacing a Fuji 460 which I recently lost. Had been very happy with that one. Did all the basic stuff an amateur like me wanted. Only real let down was taking pictures in low light (parties/weddings that sort of thing), which were often dull and/or blurred. Have done some web searches and came have narrowed it down to a couple of potential replacements.

1. Initial preference was for another Fuji finepix of which I like the look of the F50 (€144 plus shipping on pixmania).
  2. A reputable camera shop informed me today that the Canon IXUS range is the business, having no problem with low light shooting. They recommended the IXUS 75. On 7dayshop.com came across what appears to be an excellent deal for the IXUS 80, i.e. next level up, at GBP £149. If I then combine that with the always excellent bargains that site has on memory, cases (e.g. Lowepros bags for as little as £4.49) and spare batteries (generic but based on others I've purchased as good as the own brand equivalents) I can have it all for something like €220 including delivery.
Apologies then for all the ranting when all I really need to know is which one to go for - Fuji or Canon. Open of course to other suggestions.
The What digital camera magazine for August 08 has both the fulifilm f50cd and the Ixus75/80/850is/90is and the 960is as recommended cameras.....I spent ages reviewing them all and all the experts seem to recommend Canon. I went for the Canon 960is 12.1 mp and got it for the equivalent of 240 Euros in the U.S. Incredible camera!

Canon all the way... Dont waste your money on anything else!!! Dont worry about the amount of pixels. 5mp is more than enough, lens quality and iso speeds combined with optical zoom are more important!!!!

Both the models you are looking at have achieved the Which.co.uk "Best Buy" rating, so you can't go wrong with any of them. If, however, the MegaPixel figure is important to you, then the Fugi has 12Mp to the Canon's 8Mp. If you don't plan to print really large prints, then ignore the relevance of this. I believe that Canon are possibly the best Digital Camera maker out there, so I would go with them but it's a nice choice to have!

Last edited:
I bought the Ixus 80 and I am very impressed with its quality and ease of use. The only complaint, if any, is that it is sometimes slow to take the actual shot (this however could be a user issue!)

Both the Fuji and Canon are great brands and easy to use for point and shoot, however they both have very elaborate menu facilities available for tweaking settings etc. - if you know what you are doing! I left mine at the factory defaults and the quality is great.

However, I am biased to the Canon as my previous camera was also a canon, the ixus 400 which never let me down.

I got mine on pixmania.

I bought a Cannon Ixus 2 years ago and the switch* broke. Apparently it is a common problem and will cost €150 to repair.

*i'm sure there is a better word for it than "switch". It's the sliding button which determines wherether you want to take a still photo, a movie or review your photos.

Thank you to everyone who replied to this post. I went with the Canon, which based on all the feedback appears to be the model of choice. Frustratingly still waiting for the delivery from 7dayshop. Though they took full payment from my card last Friday received an e-mail today to say it is currently out of stock. Have the option to cancel but after getting it at such a good price I will hang on. Good things come to those who wait I guess.

Thank you to everyone who replied to this post. I went with the Canon, which based on all the feedback appears to be the model of choice. Frustratingly still waiting for the delivery from 7dayshop. Though they took full payment from my card last Friday received an e-mail today to say it is currently out of stock. Have the option to cancel but after getting it at such a good price I will hang on. Good things come to those who wait I guess.

How much did you pay?

Have been away for a while. In reply to Hillstat paid, for the camera alone, €193 on 7dayshop.com. Also bought a bunch of accessories with it also, which I got a good deal on - 2GB SanDisk memory card for €14, Lowepro case for €9 etc.
While I received delivery of all the accessories within a week of ordering them I am still waiting for my camera. The initial problem related to the item going out of stock at the time I ordered it (to be fair to them the stock status on their web site read 'STOCK-LOW'). However, contrary to their policy, the still took full payment for the item at the time. It was eventually dispatched on August 12th but as of today, August 22nd, I am still waiting. I have bought stuff from them in the past but, like my camera accessories this time, they were low value items. Would welcome any feedback from on people's experiences purchasing from this site.
In hindsight I would have used dabs.ie to buy the camera. While they were a little more expensive (+ €10) anyone I have spoken to is happy with the service they provide. Being Irish based also gives off more of a warm fuzzy feeling should the worst happen and there is a problem with the item.

Back