Different CAO Points for same course

dodo

Is the only reason for the difference in points the status associated with each college? See courses as shown below, similar courses but significantly different points

UCD Engineering Science (NFQ Level 8) CAO points 2018: 510
IT Tallaght Engineering Honours Bachelor (NFQ Level 8) CAO points 2018: 226

You would need to read the each college's prospectus to know what the course involves. The fact that they are each at level 8 just tells you that they are each 4 years long.

Successfully undertaking an engineering course with 226 points would require some major change from the leaving cert. Without a good level of maths in the leaving cert topics engineering is very tough. No one is going to teach you that maths in a third level college.

Just because some places have lower entry points for a course doesn't mean it's any easier to complete. What are the important subjects required for completion and do you find you're good at them? Like cremeegg said, maths are very important in engineering and if you don't have that natural ability at them you will most likely have problems which can have a real downside for a students confidence going forward.

Hi Dodo,

Hoping not to go off topic but I know a few people who have done or are doing engineering and they maintain that Tallaght, which now has university status, is a better course to opt for because the numbers are smaller. They maintained that it is more hold your hand and get you through the exams with this method. The classes I am told are much larger in UCD and there is a high drop out rate.

A relative who did engineering maintains that it is better to go for the level 6, then 7 and then 8 course because if it proves too hard along the way then one at least has a qualification after two, three or four years. If you go for the direct level 8 and find it too hard then you could land up with no qualification along the way.

Hi Dodo,

Hoping not to go off topic but I know a few people who have done or are doing engineering and they maintain that Tallaght, which now has university status, is a better course to opt for because the numbers are smaller. They maintained that it is more hold your hand and get you through the exams with this method. The classes I am told are much larger in UCD and there is a high drop out rate.

This ia not true. Drop-out rates are easily looked up online.

The ITs have much higher drop-out rates than universities, particularly in hard subjects like CS and engineering.

A relative who did engineering maintains that it is better to go for the level 6, then 7 and then 8 course because if it proves too hard along the way then one at least has a qualification after two, three or four years. If you go for the direct level 8 and find it too hard then you could land up with no qualification along the way.

If you get 510 points, beer is the only thing that will stop you completing your course.

I have a relative who dropped our of arts first time, worked for a few years and went back to do engineering.

He took it level 6, then level 7, then level 8 in an IT. He basically set up small hurdles and cleared them all. It's worked out really well for him, maybe better than if he'd faced the prospect of four years from the outset.

The person i inquiring about expects to get between 420 to 470 pts, tks for feedback

Back