% difference between trade in and retail price?

TheReflex

Hi,

I'm looking to trade in a vehicle on the purchase of a similar, more recent one.

At the moment the stand is offering 15k for mine on a trade in. Similar vehicles in Carzone (same model & year) sell for 29k-31k.

I was expecting the trade in value to be around 70-80% of the prices in Carzone. 50% just seems a bit too low. The stand could potentially make 15k profit on my car alone...

Am I being very optimistic here?

@TheReflex - trade in prices are always going to be lower, but that seems very low to me. Would you try to sell it privately yourself or even directly to a garage (not as a trade in)? There is a shortage of second hand cars at the moment, so garages are open to buying from private sellers.

@TheReflex - trade in prices are always going to be lower, but that seems very low to me. Would you try to sell it privately yourself or even directly to a garage (not as a trade in)? There is a shortage of second hand cars at the moment, so garages are open to buying from private sellers.

When you say garages, you mean like a local stand or really like any garage that does servicing etc?

My vehicle is reasonably in demand (City SUV/4x4) so I would expect this to be easier than it currently seems to be...

What is the Stand?

Try ZUCAR.IE they will give you an online valuation and I found them competitive in the last year.

What you want to know is the cost to change, ignore the trade in price, or discount off the new vehicle, these are all distractions.
Call another dealer up, and tell them you have 30k in your back pocket, and find out what the cost to change is for a cash sale, so you have a comparison with dealer 1
Last point to consider, getting a punter to part with 30k in a private / sold-as-seen sale may not be easy in practice

What is the Stand?

Try ZUCAR.IE they will give you an online valuation and I found them competitive in the last year.

It's a midsized stand in the West, didn't really want to name them as it may sound like I'm picking on them. I actually dealt with them in the past and have had no complaints.

Can I get an evaluation from ZUCAR even if I don't want anything from them?

What you want to know is the cost to change, ignore the trade in price, or discount off the new vehicle, these are all distractions.
Call another dealer up, and tell them you have 30k in your back pocket, and find out what the cost to change is for a cash sale, so you have a comparison with dealer 1
Last point to consider, getting a punter to part with 30k in a private / sold-as-seen sale may not be easy in practice

Yeah I know what you mean. I mean, I'd probably take 20k for it on a tradein (cartell says I should be able to get 23.6k). Just 15k sounds too low, doesn't it?

Sell it privately or if you can't be bothered with the effort, sell it to the dealer but don't complain that the dealer is not making a better offer.

After all, in every transaction there is a willing buyer and a willing seller

Sell it privately or if you can't be bothered with the effort, sell it to the dealer but don't complain that the dealer is not making a better offer.

After all, in every transaction there is a willing buyer and a willing seller

I'm not complaining, just wondering if I'm expecting too much, that's all.

Is 'stand' a reference to a car sales garage / forecourt? I'd never heard that term before.
Apologies, I mean it's not a dealership. Unsure what's the difference between a garage and a forecourt? I'd call "garage" those places where cars get fixed and serviced :)

What is the Stand?

I tried zucar.ie following a recommendation on another thread. Not bad at all, a much better price than VW offered.

I tried zucar.ie following a recommendation on another thread. Not bad at all, a much better price than VW offered.

ZUCAR are offering 15k as well, so I'm guessing it might well be my expectations that are off

What car is it, no need to give reg no. Condition, mileage, many owners, etc? I'd imagine you would get a better idea of the price that way. Don't know if that is allowed though.

2016 Honda CRV ES 4WD, under 80000 miles. I'm the 2nd owner (circa 2 years now) and previous owner had all servicing done by Honda. No Honda where I live so I service it every year on a local reputable garage.

Great condition all round. Very similar to this guy here except for mine having about 40k extra kms: [broken link removed]

Apologies, I mean it's not a dealership. Unsure what's the difference between a garage and a forecourt? I'd call "garage" those places where cars get fixed and serviced :)
No worries, just a term I hadn't heard before and I noted others asking. I guess they'd often be called independent dealers as opposed to those franchised ones tied to one or more main brands.

All the 2016 Honda CRV's on done deal are priced between €14 and €20 k depending on mileage,main dealer etc.
True,they are either 2wd or it's not stated,but it would surely matter to very few purchasers.

I'd say anyone looking 30k for a 2016 CRV will have it for a long time. I bought a 2018 with 24k miles on it in September for a little over 22.5k. 2wd but immaculate. I know prices have gone off the wall but not to that extent.

Call another dealer up, and tell them you have 30k in your back pocket, and find out what the cost to change is for a cash sale, so you have a comparison with dealer
Really? I always feel dealers use the ‘cost to change’ figure as a way to obfuscate what you’re getting for your car and what you’re paying for the new one, so it’s more difficult for you to shop around for both figures independently to see how good the trade-in actually looks. In fact you seem to be suggesting this in your second paragraph?

Back