Difference between laptop and chromebook

Shawady

What's the difference between a laptop and a chromebook?
I need something small (10"/11" screen will do) for surfing the web and writing documents.
Can I use word/excel etc on a chromebook?

Do a google search. Sorry, not being smart, but all the info is there.
In a nutshell
Laptop - will run Windows OS and have a hard drive. Will run all standard windows applications. Think portable desktop. Lower battery life
Chromebook - Will run on google chrome. Is really an internet browser made flesh. Will run for a day on batteries and is a lot lighter. No hard drive, so is really only useful for web surfing. It boots up faster. You can write document and store them on line. It really needs either wifi or if available, mobile phone signal (3G) to be of any use. Will be a lot cheaper than a laptop.

This is a very cutdown version of the differences. Again, all the info is on line.

In summary, if all, or the majority ( >90%) of your use is internet based, then a chromebook is a runner. If you need other software and/or a lot of documents, then a laptop might be a better proposition.

It's a big leap going to a Chromebook.

I use Google Drive for my cloud computing, with Google Docs and Sheets instead of Word and Excel.

I was considering buying a Chromebook but chickened out and I'm glad I did. We still live in a Windows world, where some sites won't work properly on Chrome or spreadsheets won't convert properly from Excel to Sheets (I've had to buy Excel and have 2/3 sites that I use regularly that I have to use IE for).

Chromebook is certainly the future, I'm just not sure that we've got to the stage yet that we can do everything we need to online.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back