Difference between HAP and Focus Ireland from a landlords perspective

landlord

I am meeting someone tomorrow from Focus Ireland regarding renting out one of my properties. Just curious.....
Is this the same as the HAP? I think I am aware of the pros and cons RE the HAP from another post.
Any pros cons to focus Ireland ?
Thanks

Ok to answer my own question, which could be useful to other landlords out there.
I have given one of my rental properties to Housing first a branch of Focus Ireland

The Pros.....
Extremely competitive rents offered.....You might be shocked !!! They are able to pay up to 1.5 times what the HAP can pay.
I signed up to the 5 year contract which comes with the additional benefit that they fully manage it and pay for all repairs.
They offer a guarantee (which i got in writing) that the property will be returned in at least as good condition as when received.
The rent is paid by the HAP monthly for 5 years, whether there is a tenant there or not.
TWO months rent and a deposit of a months rent is paid in advance.
Obviously each year the rent can increase by 4% if you can prove that rents in your area have increased and follow the standard procedure.
This next point is very important.....The day you meet the housing officer, if you are happy with everything, payment will commence from and backdated to that day!!!
The housing officer fills in all the paperwork. You just sign the standard HAP form the day you meet him.

The Cons....
"Housing first" basically provides housing to desperate individuals and yes they might be drug addicts or alcoholics....thus the name "housing first".
As an owner I am going to be out of the loop for the first time ever in terms of managing this property.
I was/am slightly concerned regarding upsetting the neighbours, however everyone deserves a chance to turn their life around.

With all the pros mentioned and specifically the guarantee mentioned above it seemed a no brainer to me.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps keep us informed regarding neighbours concerns if you have a relationship with them. Mind you, it may turn sour depending on the tenant you get.

The main con is that you are stuck in a 5 year lease. Your circumstances might change and you may wish to sell the property.

Not sure how bureaucratic they will be if you have problems. While you have a contract which says that it must be in good condition when you get it back, if they don't, you would have to take legal action to enforce it.

Brendan

A potential nightmare for your neighbours, especially if an apartment or semi-d. Bet you would not like that scenario right next to your own door, good luck with it, it does sound enticing.

Who is actually considered the "landlord", you or Focus Ireland? If it is you, then you have to register the tenancy with the RTB. If Focus Ireland, they may be exempt from the RTA acts.

A potential nightmare for your neighbours, especially if an apartment or semi-d. Bet you would not like that scenario right next to your own door, good luck with it, it does sound enticing.
A neighbour of mine did this.
It wasn't long before multiple squad cars and a Paddy's satin were outside.

Who is actually considered the "landlord", you or Focus Ireland? If it is you, then you have to register the tenancy with the RTB. If Focus Ireland, they may be exempt from the RTA acts.

I registered the property with that be PRTB

Very interesting landlord. I'm a bit confused on the rent. You say HAP are paying the rent, but because it's done via Focus Ireland, you can get a higher rent than if you went directly with HAP. Who exactly are Focus Ireland. Who pays them? Is this another charity?

I am in HAP, there is no deposit paid by them and the rent is paid monthly in arrears. I solved that by getting the tenant to pay two months deposit.

Back