Difference between cumulative room area and stated floor area

CreNaCille

Just viewed a 3 bed semi-detached house.

The stated floor area is 1000 square feet.

However when I tot up the floor area of the various rooms, I only get 750 square feet.

Am I missing something?

Is such a difference common?

Are people blindly buying houses that are smaller than stated in the brochure?

Just viewed a 3 bed semi-detached house.

The stated floor area is 1000 square feet.

However when I tot up the floor area of the various rooms, I only get 750 square feet.

Am I missing something?

Is such a difference common?

Are people blindly buying houses that are smaller than stated in the brochure?

You're not including the walls

I expected the cumulative floor area to be smaller but 250 square feet smaller??????

It does seem like a lot alright but walls and built in wardrobes etc are probably where the anomaly comes from

I've yet to find an estate agent who couldn't make a house grow a bit without trying too hard! Last time we were looking practically all house sizes were overstated. Some of the overstatement may be accounted for by walls etc but rarely all of it. We looked at one that was a dorma second floor, looked like a two storey to the front but only single storey at rear, agent had just measured the ground floor and doubled it, seemed completely disinterested when queried.

If you want to know the accurate floor area then best to measure it yourself.

You need to establish what the quoted measurement is measuring. Is it net internal, gross internal or gross external floor area. Ask the developer what measurement basis they are using in calculating floor area.

When we sell a house we measure the internal length by breadth by number of floors, that give us the internal floor area, including of course the walls and stairs. That is the standard way it is done. For insurance purposes we measure the external of the above. I agree that some agents measurements can be suspect, partly because they rush the job or they are measuring the wrong way, eg external instead of internal. We measure twice, once when we get our instruction, and once again at teh first viewing with the brochure in our hand, and yes mistakes do happen. We never exaggerate the floor area, it is what it is. anonymous auctioneer.

Back