"Diet" yoghurt which does not contain aspartame

Happy Girl

Can anybody tell me of a "diet yoghurt" which does not contain aspartame. As aspartame is an artificial sweetener it is contained in most "low fat" and "diet" products but I have read up on it and have decided that it is certainly an ingredient that I want to eliminate from my diet completely. However given that I am trying to lose weight (yet again :rolleyes: ) and consuming diet yoghurts going with the "diet" option means going with aspartame. Any advice?

Re: Yoghurt which does not contain aspartame

Yes, think I remember reading before that Glenisk doesn't contain aspartame.

If you are excluding aspartame, don't forget to watch out for phenylanaline (sp?) also - I think it is more or less the same thing.

Is that a good idea if the original poster is trying to lose weight? I suppose it could be as part of an overall balanced diet and exercise regime geared towards reasonable weight control/loss.

True. There's a sweetner called Splenda that Dr Atkins recommends as a replacement for Aspartame, but only as a last resort as you should really try to lose the desire for sugar/substitutes.

I've always found the Glenisk yoghurts to be sufficiently sweet without adding anything - especially the fruit ones.

Natural (non sweetened) yoghurt with fresh fruit is more than sweet enough for me too.

I blend it with frozen fruit for smoothies - although I do add some honey.

Why dont you make your own yoguhurt, then you know exactly whats in it. Easy to do too!!
Wexfordman

Basically,

Get a small amount of yoghurt for a culture( ordinary yoghurt bought from local shop). Heat up some milk, place milk and yoghurt in a pot, covered in something like a towel or tea cosy, leave it in a secluded corner (not too warm, but not too hot). Come back the next day, and you have a pot of yoghurt.

My mother used to make it all the time when I was young, tasted great too. It is a bit thin when you make it first, but if you keep re-making from the same"culture" then over time the yoghurt gets thicker.

She was around my house the other day, so I got her to make some, and it was great. Will get more specific instructions (how hot to heat milk etc and when to mix) if you want, but worth giving it a go in my opinion.
Wexfordman

A small but significant correction to the yoghurt making instructions above.

You need to bring the milk to the boil first, then leave it to cool. It should feel warm/hot (you should be able to keep your finger immersed in it for a count of 10 without discomfort). Then whisk in a few tbsp of live yoghurt, cover and leave somewhere warm. A couple of tbsp of powdered milk make for a much thicker result.

For fruit yoghurt, add some low sugar jam once it has set.

Thanks Diziet,

I was going to ring "the mammy" later and get the details, I was'nt sure about temp etc. The powdered milk thing I had'nt heard of (mammy wouold'nt approve :) of such things), must give it a go.

Wexfordman

You can make it as mentioned - bring the milk to blood heat, add powdered milk and a couple of tablespoons of natural yoghurt and put it in a flask. Give it a good shake and it should be ready in about 12 hours. It is a bit thin alright and I've never found it to go thicker.

Would you consider soya yogurts ? Alpro do quite nice yogurts, & Superquinn stock them. I would second your concern about aspartame as an ingredient.

[broken link removed]

Back