Didn't get planning permission

Jessica Derm

Hi All

We've just realised that we've made a stupid mistake. We knocked down a pillar outside our garden and built it back up again further to the left so that we could fit our cars in properly.

My friend in work told me that we should have got planning permission for this. I know I probably sound stupid but the thought never crossed my mind at the time. Any advice would be appreciated. Need to get this thing sort now, it's on my mind and I know if we ever wanted to sell that we could have problems down the line. JD

Contact the planning section of your local authority, explain situation and see what they say.

You can put in an application for retention (if your co council confirm pp is needed)

Is it now wider than other drives in the area? If not, shouldn't be an issue getting retention.

I can't believe you'd need permission to do this. By all means check it out if you're concerned. I personally wouldn't give it a second thought.

Why would you need PP for this. Some gardens don't have walls or gates at all. a few years ago we knocked down the entire wall at the front of our house when we had the front garden cobblelocked so we could get 2 cars in. The wall was only there in the first place because the previous owners built it. It wasn't part of the original house.
I'm sure you don't need PP for this.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I feel a little relieved after reading them. I think I'll get onto the planning dept and enquire in a general way if pp is needed to widen an entrance to a house to get cars in more easily. The last thing I want to do is to have us knock the wall down. JD

You deffinitely require planning permission for the widening of an entrance, and in certain areas the LA can be very reluctant to allow this.

If you don't get retention, you may run into problems if you ever go to sell the house.

I have a similar query i have a v shaped entrance gate where there is a wide space to pull a car in before opening the gate. Is the width of the v at the road which is wider than the gates is this the actual entrance to the property from the main road. Can i widen the gates without pp

Back