AIB Did AIB recently offer you a new mortgage interest rate if you re-value your property?

jodyanne

We discovered yesterday when we received our letter that we are in fact included in the central bank review of AIB mortgage accounts. We came out of 3 year fixed in Sep 2011 and were not offered a tracker. We have all the same clauses in our Aug 2008 letter of offer that we have seen referenced here (3.2, 3.6.1, 3.6.3). Part 1 does not actually state a tracker margin, as I believe is the case with many of your letters of offer also.

Having received this letter, I am now re-examining some unsolicited contact we received from AIB in Dec 2017, offering us a lower mortgage interest rate from another LTV band - dependent on us providing an up to date valuation report. What I am considering now is this: if they knew we were one of the customers under review (as I presume they did) and if they suspected we did not (as we had not made contact with them about the issue), was this an attempt by them to give them a greater legal footing for upping the offered tracker margin, as per the 3.6.3 conditions (property valued at less that the estimate in the letter of offer)? It seems incredibly co-incidental. Did anyone else whose account is under review also receive this letter? Am I being very tinfoil hat about this?

They're required by law to inform you, at least annually, if a better rate is available to you. Nothing underhanded.

Ah OK. We had never received such a letter before. Maybe it was triggered by the loan balance reaching a certain amount so, making it possible that our LTV ratio had changed. Thank you!

Ah, it was a recent enough change so it might have been the first time you got one. I think it only applied from Feb 2017. I got mine along with annual mortgage statement if I remember correctly.

Back