Dial up connection problems

Caveat

Hi

Having problems getting connected from time to time on my home PC - error messages tend to be either "no dial tone" or "no response from PC".
Sometimes connects first time but sometimes takes up to 5 attempts.

According to the PC, the modem is fine and there do not seem to be any physical problems with e.g. cable/sockets etc. Last night was particularly bad - after about 15 attempts it would connect (at the bewilderingly slow speed of 4-7 kbps) only to disconnect about 2 minutes later. Got momentarily connected twice then I just gave up trying.

There is also a rhythmic clicking on our phone line - not sure if this is related? (and no, I've no reason to think the phone is being tapped)

(Can't get broadband in our area BTW)

Any ideas anyone?

What sort of modem - external or internal WinModem? If the latter do you have the latest drivers? Did it ever work more reliably? If so what changed in the meantime?

external or internal WinModem?

Err...:eek: showing my IT illiteracy here...not sure what you mean.

If external means literally, physically external then no, I guess it's an internal modem. PC is fairly new (given to us) and nothing has changed since we acquired it. Connection was never perfect (occasionally having problems connecting but I put this down to the nature of dial-up generally) but never as problematic as it is now.

How out of date would the drivers need to be to cause problems? Existing drivers can't be more than about 2 years old I guess.

The only thing I can think of that has changed recently, and that could conceivably be related, is the clicking on the phone line?

Err...:eek: showing my IT illiteracy here...not sure what you mean.

If external means literally, physically external then no, I guess it's an internal modem. PC is fairly new (given to us) and nothing has changed since we acquired it. Connection was never perfect (occasionally having problems connecting but I put this down to the nature of dial-up generally) but never as problematic as it is now.

How out of date would the drivers need to be to cause problems? Existing drivers can't be more than about 2 years old I guess.

The only thing I can think of that has changed recently, and that could conceivably be related, is the clicking on the phone line?

Sounds like you need to update your 'drivers'

Can I suggest you try the following site to check for available updates, I just Googled for you and tried this on my own PC and found updates for my PC.

Note : You will need ActiveX as is part of the driver scan.
http://driveragent.com/?ref=307

Please note that this is a paysite and I suggest after your Driver scan you Google the maker of your modem for the proper driver update

Thanks

The problem may be connecting to avail of this - but I could be lucky.

How likely is it, in your opinion, that there could be other reasons for the problem?

I think it's a problem with your phone line. The clicking can mean there is a fault in the line. If it is overground the rats/mice have been at it. (It was this problem with mine which also showed the damage in a clicking sound, but it is hung in a hedge due to a long story with conduits). It may also be a loose connection somewhere. You need to physically trace the line where it is overground and see if you can find a source of break and check the connections where it comes into the house and between the entrance and the socket you are using.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you think there is any point in contacting the fault report section of Eircom?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you think there is any point in contacting the fault report section of Eircom?
The first time I had problems, I contacted them and a fellow was around in a few days. He found where the rats had chewed the cable and fixed it. He didn't charge, even though it was my fault for not securing the cable, because he was in the area!

If your line is underground up to the house from the pole and the inside bits look okay, there could be a fault on the pole line itself. Not common, I gather, but it does happen sometimes (a wallop/stretch from farm machinery, for example). In that case, it's certainly Eircom's problem.

As far as I can see the line is overhead - pole to rooftop. Nearest pole is actually at the foot of the front garden. Presume the line is then fed from the roofspace. Everything does seem to be ok on the inside other than in the roofspace which I haven't looked at - and in fairness, there could well be mice up there.

Might just try phoning Eircom anyway and see what they say.

Thanks

Phone Eircom and they'll do a line test while you're on the line maybe asking you to hang up and then ringing your line.Its a good starting point.I had terrible trouble when I was on dial up with exactly the same symptoms as you're experiencing.The problem was carried over when I got BB(very slow speeds) It turned out to be a broken/corroded wire in the box at the front door in the hall.It looked perfect and I only spotted it by sheer accident.

Phone Eircom and they'll do a line test while you're on the line maybe asking you to hang up and then ringing your line.Its a good starting point.I had terrible trouble when I was on dial up with exactly the same symptoms as you're experiencing.The problem was carried over when I got BB(very slow speeds) It turned out to be a broken/corroded wire in the box at the front door in the hall.It looked perfect and I only spotted it by sheer accident.

Thanks Caff

Have actually just spoken with Eircom - they have confirmed that yes, there is a problem with the line and that this is most likely causing my dial up problem too. They also confirmed that it was an 'external' problem - they're sending someone down.

Knew this was too good to be true.

I am now being told that actually there was never any fault detected on the line and that the person who told me this (who even went as far as to say the fault was external) was simply wrong.

It is being suggested now that electric fencing may be causing my "line problem". Eircom eng. is being sent out to check this.

Any idea what I do next - if it is electric fencing, is there any way of minimising interference? If it isn't, seemingly I have a mystery problem, and still no internet connection!? :confused: :mad:

Can you test things with another line (e.g. a neighbour's) just to see if the problem is localised to your home?

I know of a case where an electric fence was causing problems ("clicking noises") on a phone line which ran close by.
Apparently it only happens if the electric fence is not earthed properly or is faulty. It required the good will of the landowner to repair the dodgy e/l fence. It doesnt need physical contact with the phone cable - its an induced current from the electric fence , technically not eircoms problem.

Well....You can't earth an electric fence unless you want to receive the intended electric shock!!! Is the rythmic clicking still on the phone line?

Well....You can't earth an electric fence unless you want to receive the intended electric shock!!! Is the rythmic clicking still on the phone line?
They are earthed all the time. No idea how it works, but saw the neighbour installing his. The box with the charge is connected to the wire. The other end of the box has a spike that goes in the ground. I presume if you then touch the wire you connect the circuit (between the wire and the ground).

Back