Diabetes mellitus/Any sw help.

Re: Diabetes mellitus

You might be entitled to a careers allowance contact your local hse office

I'd suggest making contact with the Diabetes Federation of Ireland. They should be able to advise you on this sort of thing and have always been helpful in my previous dealings with them (although, speaking as someone who was diagnoised with IDD at 9, I'm not aware of any additional benefits you'll be able to avail of in terms of SW).

I'd also suggest you discuss the issues with your Diabetic Care Team and with the school. I don't want to get into speaking on the medical care side of things, but there are lots of options available which wouldn't require you to visit the school twice a day.

Poor Me,

You have my sympathy it's not an easy condition to come to terms with. I trust you are getting enough support from the hospital you are attending.

I've a son who was diagnosed 3 1/2 years ago, he's five now. So I can only say your ability to deal with and manage the condition will improve. I know both myself and my wife found it beneficial to speak with someone that had gone through the same thing.

It's nice to realise your fears are the same fears that many people live with (thankfully they remain fears)

I found your post because my son has recently started primary school and i am dumbfounded the there is no government policy to help schools support the needs of Diabetics. There doesn't even appear to be any support or guidance to help schools form a policy (i could be wrong on this second point, I just haven't found any)

to the best of my knowledge if there is a special needs assistant in the school they will come twice a day to the child and check the sugar levels, i know you prob want to be sure yourself but maybe you could ask them to keep an eye on him

Back