Development charge

seamus357

We received our planning permission a few weeks back. One of the conditions was a development levy to the county council of €5,000. What is this for? It can’t be for water or sewerage as we have to dig our own well and install our own sewerage treatment system.
Do we have to pay it? What happens if we don’t?

a development contribution is a standard charge for most applications for a new development....
€5000 is not a large fee, thank your lucky stars your not building in kilkenny!!
the development contribution is basically a fee for the services the coincil provide... eg having a road outside your house.... and the famous 'amenities' fee as well......
this all stems from the Department stopping finance for LAs a few years ago, they now have to find their own finance... thus.....

you can ask them for a breakdown of the individual fees.... usually these are up on their website anyway....

but at the end of the day its a case of 'pay up and smile'.....

Yes it has to be paid, it can be for a number of things upkeep of roads and community amenities, playgrounds parks etc.€5k is cheap can be up to €20k in kildare.

Last edited:
it can be a lot more than 20k in fingal!!

has anybody ever put any consideration in the different rates being applied between different cocos?? i think it's a whopping 149 per sq meter in fingal!

is it not discrimmination for one LA to charge one rate and another LA to charge a much higher rate? surely the same rate should be applied to the whole country??

is it not discrimmination for one LA to charge one rate and another LA to charge a much higher rate? surely the same rate should be applied to the whole country??

Why, when land prices, density of population, and demand on amenities are vastly greater in a place like Fingal than in say Donegal?

The breakdown of cost given in meath is €2033 for water, €6327 for roads, and €2033 for social infrastructure..

I know land prices may be greater in fingal, but i was born and bred there, so why should i have to pay a higher penalty for the privilege of building on my family's land which has been in our hands for generations, as compared to someone doing the same just a few miles away in meath for a fraction of the same development fee?

it's an unfair system and i hope somebody challenges it someday.

2,900 in longford - yippee ! for a 2,900 sq ft house and 500 sq ft garage.

Standard of €15k in Dun Laoghaire. However, much lower if you are just extending.

We received our planning permission a few weeks back. One of the conditions was a development levy to the county council of €5,000. What is this for? It can’t be for water or sewerage as we have to dig our own well and install our own sewerage treatment system.
Do we have to pay it? What happens if we don’t?

It's a contrabution to the local development in the surrounding area
due to your new development's impact on the area.

If you dont you wont comply with the planning and the Council can make you knock whatever you have built.( at your cost)

Count youself lucky. I had to pay €83,000.00 for a development in Westmeath.

My friends paid 30k close to balbriggan and the house was on their own land beside their home place?!! I told them that there must be some way to object...

"Why, when land prices, density of population, and demand on amenities are vastly greater in a place like Fingal than in say Donegal?"

Actually, this is not logical. The cost per capita of providing services should be lower in an area of high population density.

"I know land prices may be greater in fingal, but i was born and bred there, so why should i have to pay a higher penalty for the privilege of building on my family's land which has been in our hands for generations"

There is likewise no logic to this, unless it were to be argued that those previous generations had already paid for the local services; (but they didn't).

It might not necessarily be a bad thing if levies were to be allowed to creep up. The price which a developer pays for land is mainly a funtion of the cost of acquisition, cost of development and sale price. Every extra €10k on levies pretty much feeds into €10k less paid to landowners. As the money which landowners get is a state-generated windfall, it could validly be argued that there is nothing wrong with the state appropriating the benefit of the windfall to itself.

My view on this issue is somewhat tempered by my view that the agencies of the State - and particularly the local authorities - are not good with money, and perhaps anything which gives more money to them is to be abhorred on principle.

Development Contribution - What a joke!

I spend almost a year trying to get planning permission in Kilkenny all to no avail, then I appealed the council's decision to an bord pleanala - thankfully they came back and said "no problem, go ahead and build where I originally asked to build a year and half earlier!"

Then in jig time the council sent me on a bill of €11,000 for development contribution.....so now I have to raise 11 grand to build a house out in the wilderness where I will never see any footpaths/car parks/street lighting/water group scheme or whatever.

What a joke!

Don't anyone be under any illusion that it's a tax by another name.

All I can say is I'm extremely grateful I'm in Dublin City Council's area (just got PP for an extension), who don't seem to have discovered this new line of revenue, at least yet.

Back