Derelict property

R

rosepetal

Hi

I've seen a few derelict properties on my travels around the country. Is it possible to find out if anyone owns them and then register them or do we need to buy them from the council? Why are there so many of them lying about the place when people such as myself fall short of a mortgage for a home and need somewhere? This would sort all problems if we could re-register derelict buildings and move in. Anyone heard anything about the legalities/procedures?

Could it be that a builder owns the property and is waiting to acquire an adjacent property before commencing a development?

You could register them thru adverse possesion, if you went and quatted there for 7 years and no one ejected you.

We do not live in a communist country. People here have a right to retain the ownership of a property even if they have no current use for it or do not have the money to do it up. I understand your problem but I would think that there is very little property in Ireland, derilect or otherwise, that does not have an owner.

You can usually find out who owns a property, particularly in rural areas, by doing a land registry mapping search. Most county towns have a land registry office in their courthouse or find them in green pages of phone book. You could then contact the registered owner if you were interested in a purchase. I'm not sure that this would necessarily be a way to get a bargain. Just to correct an earlier post, the relevant period for adverse possession is 12 years not 7.

Back