Deposit requested to buy a property - 1st and 2nd?

Kalada

Hi all,

I understand first-time buyers typically need a deposit equivalent to a tenth of the value of their home. Then the percentage increases for a second time buying. Do you know how much is that percentage.

Thanks

But the lenders are allowed to make exceptions. If your loan to income is good, there would be a good chance of getting an exception as it's early in the year.

Brendan

But the lenders are allowed to make exceptions. If your loan to income is good, there would be a good chance of getting an exception as it's early in the year.

Brendan

Sorry Brendan. Not sure if I understand properly. Do you mean that the bank is able to make an exception so if my income is good, once I request for a mortgage, the 20% deposit wouldn't be necessary anymore?

Thanks

That is correct.

But each bank has its own criteria. So if you do not have the 20% , it does not mean that you should not apply.

Brendan

Worth bearing in mind, if you get an exemption on your deposit % (LTV exemption), you won't get an exemption on your income (LTI exemption).

Your loan will be confined to 3.5 times your gross salary.
You will need to make sure you have adequate cash funds for everything else separately e.g. legal fees, stamp duty, home furnishings, general moving costs, etc.

Back