Deposit re invested without my approval.

Treefrog2108

hi.

I had a sum of money in an Interest first fixed account with a particular bank. Its maturity date was up last week and the bank opened another year long fixed term deposit and locked away my money, without my approval or signature.

I did recieve a letter last week stating that the maturity date was up , and reading it back now, it does say that If I do not get in contact with them (which I didnt) they will re invest it.

So I recieved the letter today with my new account details, although I had no intentention of re investing for another year,I believe I can get a better interest rate.

So basicly, what I am asking is was this legal? Would they not need my approval and signature to reinvest my hard earned cash?
Does the letters statement about "if I do not get in contact they will lock it away for another year" hold water?

I have not spoken to the bank yet, I just got the letter, but I wish to take the money out and invest it elsewhere. without penalties.

I appreciate any advice before I ring the bank.

Have you read the terms and conditions of your original deposit account? I'd be fairly sure the Bank are operating within the terms of this. They also gave you prior notice of their intention which you chose to ignore.

However, I would presume any interest penalty would only be on interest earned since the transfer of the money plus perhaps an administration charge.

The bank informed you by letter of the maturity of the account. You had options that you didn't choose so under the terms and conditions the bank acted correctly. We have similar accounts with PTSB. You can of course ring the bank and say that you want to withdraw the money and just forgot at the time, but given that you want to withdraw the money, I'd say your chances are zero.

Are we talking about an EBS Family Saver account by any chance?

I believe what you would have signed last year would have spelled out what would happen on maturity should you not direct them otherwise. Try to dig out your documents from last year to confirm.

Have you read the terms and conditions of your original deposit account? I'd be fairly sure the Bank are operating within the terms of this. They also gave you prior notice of their intention which you chose to ignore.

Why don't ppl read T&Cs? The americans do?

Exactly what happens at maturity is always set out and part of the T&Cs an person signs when they agree to the transaction.

(same happens with Ryanair and then the same pppl who voted with their feet to fly Budget complain loudly. O'Leary is absolutely right. I prefer to fly non Ryanair if possible but depends on cash difference )

ok. Thanks for all the information everyone.

I guess its my own fault for not contacting them as soon as they informed me the initial term was coming to an end. Lesson learned.

I really need to stay on top of these things, but usually put them off, untill like now its too late.

Anyways thanks again.

treefrog2108

I

nah, its not EBS. The last letter did say that the money would be re invested should I not get in contact. I just left it too long and it slipped my mind totally

It is completely outrageous that a bank (PTSB in this case) can have T&C's that lock you into a new 1 year term deposit without your prior consent.

Treefrog2108 - Ask PTSB if you are inside their cooling off period? They might allow you exit if you are. If not, ask PTSB if they will allow an early exit, they sometimes do.

It is completely outrageous that a bank (PTSB in this case) can have T&C's that lock you into a new 1 year term deposit without your prior consent.

Treefrog2108 - Ask PTSB if you are inside their cooling off period? They might allow you exit if you are. If not, ask PTSB if they will allow an early exit, they sometimes do....

Ok, thanks Ciaran. The cooling period is a good idea. I will speak to them tomorrow and see what they say,

Excuse me - when the account was opened, you have to sign a piece of paper agreeing to the t&c in which it explicitly states what will happen when the a/c matures so it is not done without your prior consent.

Excuse me - when the account was opened, you have to sign a piece of paper agreeing to the t&c in which it explicitly states what will happen when the a/c matures so it is not done without your prior consent.

Agree...several insitutions do this, and in fairness its usually plastered on the Terms and Conditions, Account Confirmation Letter, and pre-maturity notification letter, plus there is the cooling off period afterwards, so I dont think its outragous either. What is outragous is people thinking they should always have it their way!

We don't know that this is the case.

The OP, I suspect, gave his consent when he signed up to the original agreement. If it was anything like the EBS agreement then it wasn't so much small print as an expressly written.

But without seeing the documentation it's not possible to be definitive. If the OP explores a few avenues they may be able to get access to their cash as a goodwill measure.

Just to give the other view, many the time I dealt with customers having a fit because their matured term deposit was sitting in an on demand account with low interest for months because they assumed it would re-invest if they didn't say otherwise. Some do, some don't, it will be in the t&c's and in fairness they did write and tell you as well.

We don't know that this is the case.

The OP, I suspect, gave his consent when he signed up to the original agreement. If it was anything like the EBS agreement then it wasn't so much small print as an expressly written.

But without seeing the documentation it's not possible to be definitive. If the OP explores a few avenues they may be able to get access to their cash as a goodwill measure.

My point is not whether it was in the T&C's or was not in the T&C's. It was in the T&C's.

My point is that it should never have been in the T&C's in the first place.

It is sneaky devious behavioral aimed at taking advantage of the financially illiterate.

A term deposit is for a fixed period of time, once it expires the consumer should have to elect what to do with the deposit. It should not be reinvested and locked at a rate that the consumer has not given their prior consent to.

There needs to be more consumer protection in this area.

I have fixed term deposit with ptsb due in 2 weeks. At the time I read that if I didn't advise them what I wanted to do it would roll over, so I put the date into my phone.

The OP was written to and he has admitted himself that he dropped the ball. If he has a cooling off period, all the better.

I don't think the bank here is being underhanded here. How are they to know what you what you want to do with the money unless you tell them.

I don't think the bank here is being underhanded here. How are they to know what you what you want to do with the money unless you tell them.

The default should be an instant access call account if no instruction is given.

I have an account similar to the OP. Got my letter reminding of the maturity date and if I wished to have it rolled over no further contact was required. The interest rate was good so I just filed away the letter. Job done!!

Then I get a phone call stating that I needed to make an appointment with the branch manager. They would need to do a financial assessment. I declined the invitation and reminded the lady "silence gives consent" as per their letter. Now we are not talking megabucks, just a bit of rainy day money.

You can't win

Back