Deposit Lost as Balance Not Paid.

O

orlandogirl

Hi There,

I'm posting on behalf of a family member who last year put a 25% deposit to hold an item of furniture in a store in Castlebar. She has not made any payments since then. However, she went to the store today to make a further payment on the item but was told that the purchase had been cancelled and she had lost her deposit as the product was ordered in for her in October 08 and she had been too long making further payments. Are the store within their rights to do this or should the deposit be refunded to her? She has no contract from the store regarding the deposit.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

In fairness, it's almost a year since the deposit was paid and no contact made with the store since then. You expect them to hold an item for that long without a further payment being made? Times are bad but that is taking the mick.

I said that to her about the item being held but it was more about the deposit not being refunded, just wanted to find out if the store were within their rights not to pay the deposit back as no goods have been recieved. Fair enough if they are, just want to find out where she stands. thanks.

I ask for a credit note, that way they might get more business from her.

My friend put money down on table and chairs and it was a year and a half later before she brought them away.

She did tell them at the time that she was building a house. They rang her once to make sure she hadn't forgotten.

Now I realise it was almost a year but if I was her I'd let them know they wouldn't get another penny unless they give her the credit note.

Thanks a million, I was on the consumer connect site last night and I gave her the number so i'll see how she gets on with them today.

Becky, thanks for the response about the credit note, she did say to me that she would try and ask for one but the girl she had spoken to yesterday said it wasn't possible so she's due a callback from the store manager - I'll say to her that it is possible to get one in these circumstances.

thanks!

I'm no legal expert but if she paid a deposit and the goods were available, surely the store should have made contact with her to advise her of her intentions. I would say she is entitled to her deposit back immediately. Maybe tyhe best thing she could do is take the matter to a solicitor.

The way things are at the moment, she is obviously mad or has too much money to leave a deposit with a furniture retailer. Not casting aspersions with the retailer but there is enough press comment in relation to the state of the Furniture retailing sector.

When she paid the deposit, she surely received some form of documentation relating to the terms and conditions that applied to the deal. Terms I've seen in the past cover the retailer in such circumstances, and can even include a storage charge should the product not be collected/delivered within a set period.
Leo

Hi there, She did not recieve any terms as far as I know, my boyfriend asked her about that on the phone last night after we'd been on the consumerconnect site but she didn't think she had any.

Thanks for your comments Mercman, I'll mention this to her later. Are you talking about furniture stores going out of business in terms of press comments? Thanks!

I thought so, I agree that putting money on furniture wasn't the best idea. But then I'm just about 100% against putting deposits on anything except holidays and things to be honest!

In fairness she expects the store to hold onto the stock for nearly a year. I work in retail and this always happens. I can guarantee the store did contact the person in relation to ordering the tables as they would have been eager to get money in the till. Did the shop order the product? If so then she should only get a credit note as they had to pay for the item and store it.

Back