Deposit Account - Leave Alone or Move Funds

E

EllaBoo

Good morning all

I have a deposit account with Anglo and a current account with UB with a small balance. I live in Egypt and have a Euro and Egyptian account here too. All this speculation about the economy is concerning me greatly 9as it is all of us) and as I live outside the country I find this website very helpful to hear the opinions of the people 'on the ground', so to speak. I am undecided between the following options:

1. Leave the funds where they are and see how the situation pans out
2. Transfer the funds to my UB account

If the Euro collapses and we revert to punt both options above will result in a devaluation.

I could also transfer the funds to my account here in Egypt but am unsure of what would happen if the Euro does collapse. What effect might this have on Euro balances held outside Europe? I could change it to dollars but as it is also suffering I feel it might be 6 of one, half dozen of another scenario.

I wanted to keep the funds in Ireland as I would like to move back some day and am nervous of putting all my eggs into one basket in Egypt because of the politcal instability and the uncertainty concerning Mubarak's successor when he passes away which is likely to be soon enough. Largely I would prefer to leave it as if everyone pulls out of Ireland it is only going to further damage the economy. On the other hand it looks like it's in a very state already so is it overly optimistic to think we can dig ourselves out?

I would really welcome any opinions as to what might be the best thing to do.

Best wishes to you all and have a fantabulous day!

Personally, I think you ought to move your Anglo money to UB. Firstly, Anglo now has a credit rating in deep junk, I wouldn't like to keep my money in a bank like that. Also, it looks like the process of winding-up Anglo is about to begin and it's not clear where the accounts will be moved to. At least if you transfer it to UB the process is under your control and not the governments!

I currently work in Malaysia and I have moved some of my savings to my Malaysian bank account just in case. However most of it is in NIB which I hope is one of the safer Irish banks because of its Danish parent bank. Just spread your money around to reduce the risk.

Agreed that there is no point in keeping your deposit in Anglo. They have the lowest credit rating of any Irish bank, they are dependent on others to survive, they do not offer the best deposit rates and your deposit is about to be moved to some unknown bank.

What effect might this have on Euro balances held outside Europe?

No EUR balances are "held outside Europe" par se.

If a bank offers EUR cash balances, outside Europe, then they must have a sub custodian inside Europe somewhere.

Your Egyptian bank must have an agent/bank/sub custodian inside Europe, that they deal with behind the scenes.

Back