Depop and Paypal

Tomjim

My son sold a top on Depop and my wife posted it 2 weeks ago. It was posted in a prepaid an post giftbag (6 euro). We have a receipt for the purchase of the bag only and a photo of the buyers address before it was sent (our postcode for returning if not delivered is also in the photo). We have no tracker.

My son at the time had 2 depop accounts and depop discovered this and shut the 2 accounts down.

At this time the buyer had paid the money over through paypal, but when he saw the depop account closed down, he raised a dispute with paypal and Paypal found in his favour and returned the money to him, this despite the parcel having been sent.

My son is only 17 and dealt with this himself and only told us when Paypal found in favour of the buyer.

We have contacted An Post, but they won't be back to us for 6 weeks.

What can we do to get the money back?

You need to ask for a review of the PayPal decision.
Possibly your son did not give a proper reply to the dispute and PayPal simply sided with the buyer.

An post had horrendous delays at black Friday. This was caused by Amazon putting a far greater volume into an post than they projected.

It caused chaos. But I suspect that the package has been delivered and you are dealing with s dishonest buyer

Was there any an post identification number on the package? - if there was, anpost can find the exact coordinates of delivery.

the buyers address and his eircode only, no an post id, but we have a photo of the receipt for the prepaid jiffy bag with the date shown on it.

You have no chance with PayPal they will always find with the buyer.
I have been scammed before with PayPal buyers insurance. As a private seller I refuse to deal with people and sites that want to use PayPal with buyer insurance because its a joke of a system.

You have to send stuff with a tracking number. If you didnt, there is no comeback with PayPal as the best you could hope for is the item returned if they make a claim.

Your only hope is a claim via anpost if the item was never delivered but was insured.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I was out of pocket €500 because a buyer broke a graphics card after reciving it. No amount of evidence that it was working before it was sent was enough. PayPal T&C will always find with the buyer despite it contradiction to irish consumer law. I sent a legal letter to them and got my money off them I was super worked up so wouldnt let it go. Best to just move on and never sell privately when PayPal insurance is involved.

Back