Departing Tenants - Checklist

Niallymac

I have been in the rather fortunate position of having the same tenants for 6 years. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and they will shortly be departing.

As this was a first let, I've never been through this part of the process before and was wondering if anyone out there would care to advise me on the do's and don'ts of the deal.

For example, on utilities, do i take readings and advise ESB, Gas etc of final readings and give them a forwarding address of the tenant etc.

On waste charges, I had a clause in all the lease every year that the tenant is responsible for paying them, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has never been paid ( many of my friends have refused to ever pay this charge and still have their bins collected ) How can I enforce this ?

Any other general advice much appreciated.

I suggest you do take readings and transfer name into your own. If the bills are in their name, then they will be keen to do so. I left bill in my name in the past as tenant was foreign and had difficulty in getting utility account. It took a lot of calls and stress before it was finally sorted.

Get a forwarding address, ensure you have their PPS no.s. It appears you have a good relationship, so I would ask straight out if they paid waste bill or intend too. What if any is in your lease agreement about non payment of bills. I changed mine to say, it would be taken out of deposit. Bill can be sent on by local government (council) if you have their PPS. ESB insist on it.

Give the house a thorough check over at least a week before they go and again on the day of leaving. It can be difficult to spot things that are outside normal wear and tear. It will cost you to repair,I dont mind normal wear & tear, that is acceptable. I have found a lot of things that were not.

Best of luck with it

Back