Dentistry, crowns.

T

terrysgirl33

Hi, can anyone tell me how much one crown should cost?

Hi, can anyone tell me how much one crown should cost?

About 5 guineas, according to this. :)

I never would have guessed...

I was quoted €700, is this a normal price?

Porcelain crown.
Cavehill Dental Care, Belfast GBP£450 (=EUR675)
Enniskillen (Will give name if you ask) GBP£300.
London GBP250.
Recent quote from dentist in Rathmines EUR850.
These are recent prices.
Go to London..get your crown done...stay in a hotel...see a show ....go shopping...have a good meal or two and still have money in your pocket.

It takes two sittings to get the crown done though. But it's not a bad idea. I like the dentist I go to, but it's a lot of money.

Would you please let me know the name of the dentist in enniskillen?

I believe NI dentists will only bring you back a second time if root canal work is needed.Verify this with your chosen dentist.They are well aware of journey times and make every effort to minimize them.
Enniskillen dentist is:-
Dr. Sinead McEnhill
16 Belmore St.
Ph. 048 663 29222

A relation used her and was happy with her work.

AFAIK, for a crown, the first visil involves making an impression and working on the tooth, the second visit fits the crown which is made by a dental technician. (I really have to go away and find out what's involved)

I had two done together and as far as I remember it might even have taken 3 visits. The first part is taking the impression of the tooth, then drilling down into the tooth and lodging a metal post there. Tooth is then covered with a temporary filling until the crown is ready to be fitted.

Mine cost €1650 for the 2 which is mighty damn steep alright so shop around I'd say.

One thing to note though is you can claim tax relief on crowns at the top rate you pay, so factor this into your comparisons.

Re: ...

Haven`t had any crowns done myself, but have been informed by one who has.One dentist (Dublin) said 5 or 6 visits would be required.She had crown done in the north on one visit.Another crown required root canal work ("posts" etc.) which needed a second visit.
Don`t be blinded by science...its just a crown.Dentists will try to justify their price.My dentist is now talking to me about the immense effect a crown will have on my self esteem.Don`t think I look like a "Crown prince"

Re: ...Crowns

I have to get a crown also. Phoned a lot of places in the North and prices range from 200GBP to 450GBP.
I am going to Newry in the New Year to have mine done. All said they can do it in 2 visits if you are travelling.

Prices I was quoted down here was 600 to 800 Euro.

Phoned a lot of places in the North and prices range from 200GBP to 450GBP..... Prices I was quoted down here was 600 to 800 Euro.
Just for the record, £450 GBP converts to €648.95 today.

Rainday, Am interested to know names and ph. numbers of dentists in the north charging GBP£200 - GBP£250.

crowns

Hi,
I'm getting five done by my dentist here at 750 euro a pop and I must admit I am being a little lazy. I have had two done already and the next three in mid-January.

I talked to the folk in Cavehill and they said that with the small difference in price it didn't seem worth the extra hassle of going to them - although with 5 to complete it does all add up. One thing to consider is they also do procera crowns which is meant to give greater durability and better finish.

As someone said before I suspect Tyrone and Fermanagh are your best bet as perhaps the folk in Newry put up their prices as everyone in Dublin considers either Belfast or Newry.

You would generally need two visits at least (one for fitting the temporary crown, second for the permanent) but perhaps three if you include an initial consultation

Did you consider Liverpool or somewhere else in the north of e. as I their prices are likely to be cheaper than London?

One other idea would be South Africa. Based on how much I am paying I probably could have thrown in a 2 week holiday there and still saved money.

I wouldn't go for the Hungarian route myself as I am a bit squeamish and apparently dentists here suggest they won't help if it goes wrong.

I suppose the whole matter of trust comes in with dentists. I've stuck with what I know and I'm paying through the nose, but I think I am getting very good quality care and a lot of consideration of potential straightening, tooth colour (an issue for me) etc. My dentist changed his mind and lightened the shade having already gone to the trouble of getting the crown made up. If I walked in off the street I don't think I would have got that level of service.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

PS: The whole "self image" line rings a bell. My optician used always use the line about girls not making passes at guys who wear glasses to me to get me to wear contacts. I suppose that constitutes a "hard sell".

Re: crowns

That was a quote from Dorothy Parker, and was originaly 'men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses'. ([broken link removed] As a girl who has worn glasses from 11 years of age, she was dead wrong.

After this discussion, I'm inclined to go with my own dentist, who I trust.

Those considering Hungary/South Africa/Liverpool should be aware that standard travel insurance does not cover travel for medical procedures - so if things go wrong while you are abroad, you're on your own!

Sorry Folks.

Is there anywhere on this forum i can view a list of Northern Dentists that are recommended from previous Experience.
Need to get 3 crowns done. Have been quoted 2,500 by my dentist.

Have rang Number in Belmore Enniskillen and got a price of 450 per Crown which is good. Just wondering if there were anyother names i could contact that are recommended.
i remember reading before that some of the Dentists up north were not of the highest standard.

Thnks

Pdcat.

PDCAT, Sinead McEnhill in Enniskillen quoted GBP£300 for Procera crown a couple of months ago.She was used previously, working in another practise, by a sister and was excellent.

A Romanian friend of mine went back home to do it for 10 teeth at €50 a tooth and they did a great job. The dentist had been their family dentist for 20 years previously.
Anyone who thinks Romanian dentists aren't properly qualified or are someway dodgy are badly mistaken.

Back