Dentistry Budapest

clipper1981

I have read a few articles on people travelling to Budapest to get expensive dentistry work completed. Has anyone here used any of these services and who would they recommend?

I don't know if you'd need to go that far, I know a growing number of people are Opting for Northern Ireland. If you haven't looked into that it might be worth checking out.

Obviously ignore this if you have look into the North.

-Rd

Don't forget that normal travel insurance does not cover travel for medical treatments like this.

Rainyday is correct. However, given Hungary is now an EU member state I would recommend you bring along your European Health Insurance Card with you when travelling anywhere, at any time in the EU. Your European Health Insurance Card will entitle you to necessary healthcare in another member state while on a temporary visit.

The Cards are free of charge (they replaced the old E111 forms last year) and are available from the Overseas Division of your HSE Area (formerly known as your health board).

You might also be interested to know, you may be able to claim repayment towards the cost of some of this dental work under the Treatment Benefit Scheme. In June of this year the Dept. Social and Family Affairs amended the terms of that Scheme to include treatment carried out in other EU member states. The Department will now pay an amount equivalent to the rate paid for similar treatments carried out in Ireland or, the amount actually paid for the treatment - whichever is the lower. You must still have the qualifying PRSI contributions. I'd recommend you have a read through the information on Treatment Benefit from the Dept's website here:
http://www.welfare.ie/foi/treatmentben.html

Also, even though having a European Health Insurance Card will provide you with necessary healthcare, it is not the same as having travel insurance. I'd also recommend you have this too (but it's up to you).

There is a place called Nagykanizsa in South West Hungry who provide very high quality dental treatments at a good price in comparison to Ireland ...
visit their website for full list of prices
[broken link removed]

Just back from some dental treatment in Budapest last week.

Bridge - 3 porcelain crowns
Root canal
3 Composite fillings
Dental Hygenic treatment, X-ray's etc

Total Cost =€1300

Found the quality of the work to be superb, far more thorough and less painful than any dental work I've had done here. Also, judging by the amount of Irish people I met out there it seems to be getting more popular.

I don't think the European Health Insurance Card or EHIC covers you if you travel to another EU member State for the purpose of getting medical treatment in that State.

http://www.ehic.ie/faqs.htm

The Card entitles you to necessary healthcare in the public system of any EU / EEA member state or Switzerland if you become ill or injured while on a temporary stay in that country. The Card does not cover the cost of treatment in a private setting.

The Card does not entitle you to travel abroad with the aim of getting healthcare through the public system.

in that case, if you want medical cover you would probably need to get travel insurance, disclosing the fact that the purpose of your visit is to get treatment while you are there.

CPAMG: are you at liberty to disclose where you received your treatment? as my better half has been quoted €3600 for 6 crowns locally

Just to clarify an earlier posting,

The purpose of an EHIC is to cover you for 'necessary' healthcare while temporarily in another EU state - I never said that it would cover anyone to travel abroad for the purpose of obtaining medical care. These are very different matters.

The EHIC card only provides care in the public health system in another EU state and is mainly used to provide necessary care if someone becomes suddenly ill, is injured in an accident or requires other 'necessary' care while they are abroad temporarily. For example, on holiday, a weekend break, etc.

It is of course possible to be sent abroad for medical treatment. If you are attending a family doctor/consultant in a private capacity and are referred abroad for treatment then you (or your insurance company) will have to pay the cost of this treatment.

If you are attending a family doctor/consultant as a public patient it is possible to be referred abroad for treatment but usually this is only where the doctor signs a form (i.e. clinical decision) and this treatment is not available in Ireland through the public health service. The form is then returned to the HSE Area who will make a decision on the case and then arrange treatment (or not).

Given the OP is considering travelling to Hungary for dental work, you should be aware that the EHIC will only cover emergency dental treatment, free of charge. Travelling over to Hungary for the purpose of obtaining dental treatment is not the same thing and I don't believe your EHIC would cover you for this. The reason I advocate anyone travelling in the EU to obtain an EHIC is you never know what could happen when you are away so it is wise to hold an EHIC anyway. I also always advocate that people hold travel insurance when travelling abroad. As useful as an EHIC is in terms of obtaining healthcare abroad - it will not meet the costs of repatriation if you need to be sent home - a useful pointer if you are seriously injured abroad.

In terms of paying therefore for this dental treatment, I think the options are checking whether it is covered by your private health insurance policy, or paying the cost abroad and claiming here under the Treatment Benefit Scheme. Again, you should check that you qualify for the Treatment Benefit Scheme in advance of travel if you intend to do this.

Back