Dentist charges €160 for extraction: excessive?

Shaney

I went to the dentist for a tooth extraction. After the work was done, I was charged €160. I have not been to the dentist for quite some time but I was shocked at the price. Being in considerable pain with a blood filled mouth, I paid the fee without comment.

Is this price exorbitant? How do dentists calculate their fees? Me thinks I will be heading North, to Belfast for any further work!!

Re: Dentist charges

You can claim tax relief at your marginal rate on certain dental (& medical) expenses. You need to get your dentist to fill out a MED2 form.

[broken link removed]

You don't say whether this was an emergency appt. or whether you have RSI cover or what tooth was the source of the problem.

I had a wisdom tooth removed in 2005 - when I had no RSI contributions to fall back on and it cost 200 PUNTS!! Admittedly I had intravenous sedation which was £80 but I was also very shocked at the time. The majority of dentists charge more for a molar or wisdom as they have two roots, (and are therefore harder to remove without breaking or damaging the gum)

I don't believe that you were overcharged but if you're still concerned ring the surgery and ask how they arrived at their figures, it could be that they charged you as a private patient with no RSI contributions.

Not a lot but if you have the cover [broken link removed] will give €20 towards dentist's visits also.

I have just been quoted almost 600 euro for the extraction of two wisdom teeth! They also informed me that i'll need sedation which will cost extra (how convenient!)! I thought this was crazy! They're still in place while i shop around. Is this price normal??

Cripes. I got a tooth extracted about 8 years ago. Best £25 I ever spent! I can understand that wisdom tooth extraction is a bit more involved but €160 is a bit much. You could probably have gone on one of those city break/dental things for a little bit more (or maybe less).

Cripes. I got a tooth extracted about 8 years ago. Best £25 I ever spent! I can understand that wisdom tooth extraction is a bit more involved but €160 is a bit much. You could probably have gone on one of those city break/dental things for a little bit more (or maybe less).

To be honest it is a number of years since I went - I expected €75-€80 but €160 seemed expensive. It was a molar and I was in the chair for a while. It is actually much more expensive here than it is in the States for dental care!

After I posted the message I went back through some of the older threads re dental care and I was stunned at what people are being quoted. It made what I was charged look comparatively cheap. I will look shop around more carefully going forward.

just thought i would add my 2 cents....

i got 4 wisdom teeth out in galway last week for 450 euro. the consultation cost me 100 euro.

got the MED2 filled out at reception before i left so i hope to get some of that back when i get my P60 next year or could i do this straight away?

you also need to think of the price of medication afterwards. i was very uncomfortable for the 2 days after it(am still swollen and getting a little sore!). the budapest costs look great but it nice to go home after a fairly serious surgery and relax.
anyone needs the details of the surgeon, give us a PM.

got the MED2 filled out at reception before i left so i hope to get some of that back when i get my P60 next year or could i do this straight away?
Normally you need your P60 for making such claims so you will have to do it in 2007.
you also need to think of the price of medication afterwards. i was very uncomfortable for the 2 days after it(am still swollen and getting a little sore!).
If the medication is prescribed then it probably qualifies for MED1 relief.

Dentist fees earlier this year in a midland town:

1st visit - consultation & diagnosis €80
2nd visit -2 fillings replaced €80
3rd visit - 1 filling replaced €80

I had the option of combining 2 & 3 but could not face 3 fillings on the one day.

I thought the whole service was excellent value.

Got rooth canal done recently (dublin) cost €300 and the cap cost €140 then got two fillings the other day and that was €95 in between this i got my teeth cleaned for free

Do all dentists give sedation? My dentist just hums along ( very off key) to whatever is on the radio, which basically just adds to the pain.

Just to clarify (wearing my pedantic hat), you cant claim tax relief on normal extractions. Did the OP have prsi contributed relief ? I ask cos I think a cost for extraction is €80 with my dentist as long as you have the required prsi stamps.

Are you sure?
Dental Benefit

Dental Benefit pays some of the cost of different dental treatments including:
  • dental examination and diagnosis,
  • scaling and polishing (including mild gum treatment),
  • severe gum treatment,
  • fillings,
  • extractions,
  • dentures,
  • root canal therapy.
You can get details of the amounts you need to pay from your dentist or from the Department.
Also (see items 091 and 096).

Just to clarify (wearing my pedantic hat), you cant claim tax relief on normal extractions. Did the OP have prsi contributed relief ? I ask cos I think a cost for extraction is €80 with my dentist as long as you have the required prsi stamps.

the cost for an extraction under rsi benefit is €12 so you might want to check that out. www.welfare.ie

Not according the the schedule of charges that I linked to above.

Back