dent and run

rkeane

Someone put a pretty significant dent in my car the other day while it was parked. I think this maybe on cctv camera and have checked with the management company to see if we can review the tapes. If I can identify the reg plate and report it to the gardai, does anyone know how striahgt forward/complicated this can be to make a claim? Obivously I'm determined to find the person who done it as that carry on is not cool.

Driving away from the scene of an accident doesnt go down to well when the Gardai are concerned. I'd get in contact with them and report it anyhow.. Its fairly straight forward once you find out who was to blame and if you have video evidence even better

Driving away from the scene of an accident doesnt go down to well when the Gardai are concerned.

You'd be amazed.

We had a very similar incident last year where someone rear-ended our parked car as she completely mis-judged where she was on the road. She got out, surveyed the damage, told a bystander to get lost and then drove off.

Despite two witnesses and the incredible fact that her number plate was imprinted on our bumper (such was the force of the impact) the most the Gardai would do was give us her number and told us to sort it out ourselves.

To cut a long story short they had zero interest in the fact that she had left the scene of an accident. We eventually got her to pay up for the damage but it was a hard slog that involved legal threats and no help from the Gardai.

You'd be amazed.

We had a very similar incident last year where someone rear-ended our parked car as she completely mis-judged where she was on the road. She got out, surveyed the damage, told a bystander to get lost and then drove off.

Despite two witnesses and the incredible fact that her number plate was imprinted on our bumper (such was the force of the impact) the most the Gardai would do was give us her number and told us to sort it out ourselves.

To cut a long story short they had zero interest in the fact that she had left the scene of an accident. We eventually got her to pay up for the damage but it was a hard slog that involved legal threats and no help from the Gardai.

thats crazy really though if you think about it... She crashed into your car, causing damage.. What difference does it make if you were not in the car or not.. If you were then the Gardai would see it as a totally different story? madness..

Slightly different story...
Last year I came out to find that my car had been used as a Michael Flatley dance floor.. The roof was wrecked, some girl thought it would be funny to get onto the roof and dance all over it. Found out who did it through a neighbour of hers and contacted the Gardai straight away. They came down immediatly and found the girl who did the damage, questioned her and found out she was drunk and did it for a laugh.. she agreed to pay for the damage to be fixed and the gardai were happy with that but cautioned her that if she didnt pay then charges would be brought against her...

You'd be amazed.

well, I wont be making any threats but this persons insurance company will be paying up.

I had exactly the opposite experience with our local gardai. Car was hit while parked on the main street outside my office a few months ago. Despite there being no imprint of a car reg ( now THAT was handy!) they interviewed witnesses in the area, narrowed it down with the cars description and that of the driver and found her. I was very impressed as I had written it off- no come back from MIBI in these circumstances where no personal injury.

I had exactly the opposite experience with our local gardai. Car was hit while parked on the main street outside my office a few months ago. Despite there being no imprint of a car reg ( now THAT was handy!) they interviewed witnesses in the area, narrowed it down with the cars description and that of the driver and found her. I was very impressed as I had written it off- no come back from MIBI in these circumstances where no personal injury.
wow, you dont happen to live in the blanchardstown area by any chance

My car was hit last year while I was looking out the window. I didn't get the number but the guy was seen by children playing further up the road and they took his number plate. I rang the local garda and he had the guys name in minutes. He asked would he call over to the person or did I want to go myself. He went and an hour later the guy was at the door " held by the ear of his mother" and they paid for all damage. The garda asked if I wanted to bring a criminal action against him for leaving the seen of a crime and i declined.

wow, you dont happen to live in the blanchardstown area by any chance
No, I live in Kerry.

Maybe they knew you were in the legal profession.

Yes they did know, but quite honestly I wouldn't think it would make a difference. Since we are usually on opposite sides of the fence if they were going to be influenced, it might not be positively...

My car was hit last year while I was looking out the window. I didn't get the number but the guy was seen by children playing further up the road and they took his number plate. I rang the local garda and he had the guys name in minutes. He asked would he call over to the person or did I want to go myself. He went and an hour later the guy was at the door " held by the ear of his mother" and they paid for all damage. The garda asked if I wanted to bring a criminal action against him for leaving the seen of a crime and i declined.
I would. Sounds harsh but there is no way I'd ever just drive off liek that. This is not just a small hard to see dent. Its enough to cost a few hundred quid for repair. There is no way they didnt know it happened. If I find out who it was, they are going to be hit as hard as possible. Disgraceful behaviour.
Hiowever, if it was someone I knew who didnt like me and keyed the side of my car then I'd be less annoyed about. I cant explain that.

wont I need proof that I didnt just do it myself?

For a claim for damages to your car " You may bring a claim for damage where the identity of the offending vehicle has been established " - no mention of the proof bit.

For the benefit of anyone else reading this thread you can claim for damage to property from MIBI if the identity of the offending vehicle has been established. From their website " Damage to property Where the damage has been caused by an uninsured motorist you may again claim the same entitlements as if the motorist was insured, BUT you will have to pay the first €440 yourself. If the vehicle was stolen, then the amount which you have to pay becomes €220. Your entitlement extends to necessary car hire and other reasonable costs
If the damage was caused by an [broken link removed], unfortunately you cannot claim ."

Someone put a pretty significant dent in my car the other day while it was parked. I think this maybe on cctv camera and have checked with the management company to see if we can review the tapes. If I can identify the reg plate and report it to the gardai, does anyone know how striahgt forward/complicated this can be to make a claim? Obivously I'm determined to find the person who done it as that carry on is not cool.
My advise to you is to report it, even if you can't get the reg number they might be able to do something about it!

Something similiar happened to me two years ago. A neighbour crashed into my car while it was parked outside my house and drove off. I didnt see the damage until later that day after being to a supermarket so had presumed it was some idiot in the supermarket carpark. I was looking at the damage outside my house later that day when one of the other neighbours approached me and told me they saw everything that happened. I contacted the local Garda station and they looked at the damage etc (cracked bumper and it was gaping out from the car) and they called up to the neighbour who witnessed it who gave a full story. However, the neighbour who did the damage denied ever crashing into my car to the guards. The garda then told him that they would have to investigate it as a "hit and run" and then suddenly he confessed. It took well over 3 weeks for him to pay for the damage. Luckily, he moved away soon afterwards.

Good luck!! Hope you find them. Unfortunately I didn't catch the latest person to reverse into the side of my car :(

My advise to you is to report it, even if you can't get the reg number they might be able to do something about it!

Something similiar happened to me two years ago. A neighbour crashed into my car while it was parked outside my house and drove off. I didnt see the damage until later that day after being to a supermarket so had presumed it was some idiot in the supermarket carpark. I was looking at the damage outside my house later that day when one of the other neighbours approached me and told me they saw everything that happened. I contacted the local Garda station and they looked at the damage etc (cracked bumper and it was gaping out from the car) and they called up to the neighbour who witnessed it who gave a full story. However, the neighbour who did the damage denied ever crashing into my car to the guards. The garda then told him that they would have to investigate it as a "hit and run" and then suddenly he confessed. It took well over 3 weeks for him to pay for the damage. Luckily, he moved away soon afterwards.

Good luck!! Hope you find them. Unfortunately I didn't catch the latest person to reverse into the side of my car :(
stop parking it on the motorway. hehe. Thanks for the advise and I fully intend to take them to the cleaners

Back