Denied car insurance quote without a reason given?

brimur

This is more of a curiosity than anything for me. Can insurance companies just not give a reason when they refuse to quote you?

I just tried to get a quote from its4women.ie and they would not quote me. I'm driving 20 years with a clean license, no penalty points or claims and I got a message saying...

"Unfortunately we are unable to quote for your circumstances at this present time as you fall outside of our underwriting criteria.... We (its4women.ie) are not made aware of the underwriting criteria as it is confidential to the underwriter"

So they are saying they wont quote me and will not say why? Based on my clean driving history,full NCB, no points,no claims and a relatively new car with no damage or modifications the only criteria I can think of that would be that I am a man. Am I wrong? It seems like they are using the underwriter criteria and its "confidentiality" to get around the gender equality thing.

I was sent in circles also, I tried the website and failed so my interest was piqued. I then rang their contact number only to be told they do not take incoming calls and to use the live chat. When I used the live chat I was told I can only be quoted on the website and to use that. Hilarious

Have you tried entering the exact same quote but with gender as female?
If that is accepted then you have a case for discrimination which you can bring to the Central Bank...

Edit - I actually think I tried a quote a few years ago on the site to see if there was any premium difference based on gender and there was not.

Last edited:
Hi brimur,

I was able to get a quote just there using itsforwomen.ie and I too am a man...

Edit - just to add, I find Post Insurance quite good of late and came in cheaper that itsforwomen.ie if that's any help.

Firefly.

This is more of a curiosity than anything for me. Can insurance companies just not give a reason when they refuse to quote you?

Yes, they can, and it's more likely to happen with the likes of itsforwomen who are just resellers and seek to cut costs to the point of providing little or nothing in the way of customer service. They're just not going to spend the time looking into it.

Back