Denied Boarding

Thank you for all the responses. The signature wiped off easy, pity we weren't given that option yesterday.

Thank you for all the responses. The signature wiped off easy, pity we weren't given that option yesterday.

Yes indeed an awful pity.
Or closer to the mark, an awful pity you didn't think of wiping it off yesterday. ;)

So new passports require you to sign it when it arrives. Rather than it arrive pre signed as in the past. And there’s a specific page for this. Anyone have an image of what this page looks like?

My 2009 passport has a laminated page, but my signature, under the laminate is under the ‘date of deliverance’ where it says ‘signature’

Thank goodness I read this thread as I’ll be renewing later this year and will be renewing for my youngest child before July. I heard there’s a backlog due to Brexit.

SparkRite this is true, even I can see the funny side of it.:)
I think it’s ridiculous that your husband couldn’t have signed the passport there and then when that’s all you needed to do. Where’s the humanity there when faced with grandparents going on holiday. What difference would it have made to that staff member.

Thanks Redonion. Here’s more on how it’s common for people to forget to sign it, and how this is not a big deal. Which I agree with, OP should have been allowed to sign at the gate, article also confirms the importance of signing. One assumes it’s not a valid legal passport without the signature.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/important-detail-newer-irish-passports-15093202

I must look at the children’s passports, not sure if any were issued since this change in 2013. And they’ve flown loads of times.

Bronte, I don't believe it was just lack of signature that was issue in this case, but the fact passport had been defaced by writing on the data page.

I have never had the signature page checked when boarding, just the page with all the details. I'm guessing here that there was a signature on that page which deemed the passport invalid and was clear for the checker to see. Have to say I don't know which passport I have as I've never signed it before afaik. I suppose it's best not to sign it and if someone point it out just sign it there and then.

I have one of the newer passports.

The data page is opposite the "signature" page so that both can be checked together.

As far as I can remember, the documentation accompanying the passport advised me to sign the passport as soon as I received it.

Back