Dell Vista upgrade

colin79ie

Hi,

I bought a new dell desktop last November. It included the free upgrade to windows Vista, which I received from DHL on Wednesday.
I installed the DVD'S as per the instructions and everything went ok. Then, when the installation finished and the computer re-booted, it would not load Vista. Got an error message saying there was a problem. So I used the repair tool on the DVD with no success. I then contacted Dell support who tried various options to no avail. I was then re-directed to Dell software support who told me it would cost me €87.12 to have the technicians fix the problem. I asked about a warranty as it was obviously my new Vista that caused the problems. They told me that I would have to re-install windows XP first (losing ALL my data in the process) and then upgrade again. And they claimed this is not a warranty issue as it is software and not hardware. I reluctantly paid to have it fixed as I would have no computer at all otherwise and it now seems ok.

Has anyone experienced this issue or had any warranty issues with software? I have tried phoning the customer care line to complain but it only deals with delivery problems.

This is true. Dells warrenty will only cover hardware issue and not software. This is because software is not from Dell but from other vendors/manufactuers such as microsoft ,McAfee etc. Its all in the terms and conditions.It's the same with every other PC manufactuer out their. When you upgrade from XP to vista you loose all your info anyway. its always a good idea to back everything up before you do anything with your system OS or harddrive. I can say however ,if you need to complain to Dell you have to do it in writing.They don't have aline to call and complain it all has to be writing.

Back