Dell Laptops:Exploding Batteries, Delayed Production and Cancelling Order.

Binomial

I heard reports this am about exploding batteries in DELL laptops.

I placed an order last week for a DELL laptop and recieved notification today that the order was delayed by up to a week.

A few questions:
What experience does anyone have with DELL and delayed orders?
Does anyone know if the exploding batteries issue has any impact on current orders?
Having placed an order and tracked it through to pre production, is it possible to cancel an order?

Thanks,
All opinions and advice is welcome.

BiN

The exploding batteries issue is a big problem, yes. The factory now has to produce squillions of replacements and fast.

This happened a few years ago as well I remember. I had to send back the faulty battery, and they then sent out a replacement, with a disk to update the bios.

Can't believe they've done it again!

Just checked my recently purchased one - early July - on ClubMan's link and it states, after entering a code found on the back of the battery, that it does not need to be replaced. So that's me sorted.

Marion

Page 5 Irish Times today has more details regarding the recall of Dell batteries.

none at all.

about 2 or 3 weeks later the new battery appears .

I'll rephrase it for you Clubman ! - On Page 5 of today's Irish Times there is an article regarding the recall of Dell batteries !!

Some scaremongering: Theres a lot more then Dell going to be affected. Think of it this way, theres only something like 5 factories in asia producing all parts for computers. sony takes some and puts them in their batteries. You think Dell are the only ones with these parts?

I bet everyone who has a Dell Laptop suddenly started feeling the battery to see if was hotter then usual. Hmm, is that warm or is that hot? I cant ever remember it being that hot, better replace it. Youll know if its hot, if it gets too hot, the processor will nearly always shut down and you'll bluescreen.

See clubmans link. It'll see you right.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the interesting comments.

Dell have since come back to me to inform me that the delay in my order is not related to the Battery recall.

Has any one any comments on my original question regarding cancelling orders which have been delayed?

Clubman,

Is the dellbatteries web site www.dellbatteryprogram.com an official one? The reason I ask is that my browser returns a message that the site does not have a certificate and it doesnt follow the naming convention dell.com, dell.co.uk or dell.ie.

Thanks,
BiN

Hi Bionomal

I got that window also when I clicked on ClubMan's link. I checked the Dell.ie website and it is a link from that site. The URL on the Dell site is as follows:

https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Default.aspx

Marion

THat site is not a dell site.

not that it matters, this recall is for batteries manufactured in the US, China or Japan. Ireland was not mentioned. I have on Irisl Dell Latitude. Its even a different battery that they are recalling.

Hi Paddy

When I typed in www.dell.ie, I am brought to the following page:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=gen

Using www.dell.com and clicking on the battery recall link you will be brought to

https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/ [ClubMan's link]

My battery was made in Japan, but it does not need to be replaced.

Marion

On Dell Ireland's homepage there is a link at the bottom of the page for battery recall. My wife's Dell laptop has a defective battery and I was able to oreder a new one, which they say will take 20 working days. AFAIK, these batteries are not made in Ireland for Dell. The faulty batttery in my wife's machine was made in Japan.

Is the dellbatteries web site an official one? The reason I ask is that my browser returns a message that the site does not have a certificate and it doesnt follow the naming convention dell.com, dell.co.uk or dell.ie.
Yes - it is the official site and I got to it via the main Dell site as explained above, but whoever put it up failed to install the correct SSL certificate. Not sure why they bothered to make it an SSL site since it is read only and no sensitive information would be transferred to/from the user via the page. Anyway, today it's giving this error (after accepting the incorrect certificate warning):
The page you requested is currently unavailable. Please refresh the page or try again at a later time.

If you continue to encounter this error, please contact us at 1-866-342-0011.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Yes - it is the official site and I got to it via the main Dell site as explained above, but whoever put it up failed to install the correct SSL certificate. Not sure why they bothered to make it an SSL site since it is read only and no sensitive information would be transferred to/from the user via the page. Anyway, today it's giving this error (after accepting the incorrect certificate warning):

[/color][/b]

Apparently the site was [broken link removed] today which probably explains why it was unavailable.

I myself have just printed down the details from the site and am about to power down my Dell laptop and take the battery out and examine the codes.

If this turns out to be my last post on AAM then you can assume that my battery exploded before I could determine it was unsafe.

Give my regards to ()*&&*(^(*&)( )(*& (* *(&U
(*^(*&(*&
(*^&(*^&*&^*&^
*(&(*&(*

WHOOSH!

Back