Delays in rolling out vaccine

Well it seems all a bit convenient to suspend AZ after AZ announce that they will fall short of delivery targets and crucially just before a potentially very awkward conversation between Michael Martin and Joe Biden where he was expected to ask about all those millions of vaccines in storage in the US. I wonder were Nphet leaned on an being the ultra cautious organisation they are it was very easy for them to suspend this vaccine. That way they can blame AZ for the very slow vaccine roll out. The timing of the whole thing is a bit suspect as Nphet could have suspended it on Friday but chose not to , I wonder if Michael Martin had succeeded in getting more vaccines from AZ Friday evening in his talk with the AZ boss would Nphet then have come and suspended the vaccine today, I very much doubt it ?
But it wasn't NPHET who made the decision? It was the NIAC and the additional data was only released yesterday.
It's not that difficult to follow the timeline here and without conspiracy theories.

It's worth remembering there hasn't been a single death reported anywhere in the world attributed to the 336 million Covid vaccine doses currently administered.
And 11 million AZ jabs in the UK alone without any reports of serious side-effects.
According to AZ “the reported numbers of these types of events for Covid-19 vaccine AstraZeneca are not greater than the number that would have occurred naturally in the unvaccinated population,”
There have been 2.65 million deaths from Covid.

Last edited:
It's worth remembering there hasn't been a single death reported anywhere in the world attributed to the 336 million Covid vaccine doses currently administered.
And 11 million AZ jabs in the UK alone without any reports of serious side-effects.
According to AZ “the reported numbers of these types of events for Covid-19 vaccine AstraZeneca are not greater than the number that would have occurred naturally in the unvaccinated population,”
There have been 2.65 million deaths from Covid.
Exactly. This maybe a lot of things and no doubt an investigation will help understand what happened. Norway also raised some concerns with Pfizer/BioNTech earlier this year and it came to nothing.

Exactly. This maybe a lot of things and no doubt an investigation will help understand what happened. Norway also raised some concerns with Pfizer/BioNTech earlier this year and it came to nothing

I wonder if this recommendation would have been made if there were 500,000 AZ doses in GP fridges ready for roll-out tomorrow ...
The UK - with data from 11 million doses to rely on - will be doling out tens of thousands of them today.

I wonder if this recommendation would have been made if there were 500,000 AZ doses in GP fridges ready for roll-out tomorrow ...
The UK - with data from 11 million doses to rely on - will be doling out tens of thousands of them today.
If the data points to an issue I would say yes. Its not an isolated issue there are issues in other countries.
If there is no link fine but I certainly think it's the correct decision.

The UK not reporting issues, if they happened or didn't happen isn't something to use in creating policy.
There was always going to be issues like this and its important to find answers afterall vaccine safety is paramount otherwise people will think hard about taking any vaccine and what then?

If the data points to an issue I would say yes. Its not an isolated issue there are issues in other countries.
If there is no link fine but I certainly think it's the correct decision.

The UK not reporting issues, if they happened or didn't happen isn't something to use in creating policy.
There was always going to be issues like this and its important to find answers afterall vaccine safety is paramount otherwise people will think hard about taking any vaccine and what then?

Are there really issues ?
The miniscule number of people suffering from blood clots after the AZ jab is no greater than would occur naturally in the population anyway.
It is noticeable that those countries with considerable amounts of data from far more successful rollouts of vaccines including AZ have made clear there is no problem with the vaccine.
And what does the delay hope to achieve ? You can only determine whether there is a problem through extensive clinical trials and huge numbers of vaccines being delivered - both of which have already happened.
And what does Ireland do now ? Wait until some Norwegian scientist takes a few weeks to decide whether it's safe or not or listen to the combined advice of the WHO, the EMA and the US and UK regulatory authorities who say it is.
This is a red herring that will only delay the vaccine programme even more and cost far more lives than the none who have so far died from Covid-related blood clots.
And, I'm afraid to say, typically weak and confused messaging from the Irish authorities.

Last edited:
Are there really issues ?
The miniscule number of people suffering from blood clots after the AZ jab is no greater than would occur naturally in the population anyway.
It is noticeable that those countries with considerable amounts of data from far more successful rollouts of vaccines including AZ have made clear there is no problem with the vaccine.
And what does the delay hope to achieve ? You can only determine whether there is a problem through extensive clinical trials and huge numbers of vaccines being delivered - both of which have already happened.
This is a red herring that will only delay the vaccine programme even more and cost far more lives than the none who have so far died from Covid-related blood clots.
Wonder if it was a member of your family that was affected would you hold a different view?
If nothing else this is important to give people assurances that vaccines are safe and combat vaccine hesitancy. If nothing was done and there was a fatality what do you think would happen?

Anyway our individual view don't matter, what matters is safety and being able to say that with facts backing it up.

Wonder if it was a member of your family that was affected would you hold a different view?
If nothing else this is important to give people assurances that vaccines are safe and combat vaccine hesitancy. If nothing was done and there was a fatality what do you think would happen?

Anyway our individual view don't matter, what matters is safety and being able to say that with facts backing it up.

But there are facts.
The AZ vaccine has been administered in the tens of millions in 68 countries around the world without any reports of serious side-effects or deaths.
Eleven million of these in our nearest neigbours in a real-time clinical trial.
Ireland is suspending it based on a handful of blood clotting cases that wouldn't be at any higher a level even without the vaccine.
And what assurances can the Irish authorities give ? They reliant on someone else assuring them that they can assure their citizens of its safety which is already what has happened and is happening on this island north of the border.
It's a ludicrous over-reaction by a country struggling to cope with poor procurement and a stuttering roll-out.

But there are facts.
The AZ vaccine has been administered in the tens of millions in 68 countries around the world without any reports of serious side-effects or deaths.
Eleven million of these in our nearest neigbours in a real-time clinical trial.
Ireland is suspending it based on a handful of blood clotting cases that wouldn't be at any higher a level even without the vaccine.
And what assurances can the Irish authorities give ? They reliant on someone else assuring them that they can assure their citizens of its safety which is already what has happened and is happening on this island north of the border.
It's a ludicrous over-reaction by a country struggling to cope with poor procurement and a stuttering roll-out.
But would it not be safer to see if there is/not a link. There's nothing wrong with been prudent.
We are not alone in deciding to suspend using the AZ vaccine.

Well it seems all a bit convenient to suspend AZ after AZ announce that they will fall short of delivery targets and crucially just before a potentially very awkward conversation between Michael Martin and Joe Biden where he was expected to ask about all those millions of vaccines in storage in the US.

Another Covid-conspiracy theory is born.

Last week there were reports of standard blood clots, ie in legs, lungs, etc. The rates of these amongst AZ vaccine recipients was similar to the general population. Hence no action was taken.

However, the four cases in Norway are different.
All four are brain clots. Brain clots are rare and very serious. All four cases occurred in young people. Hence the need for immediate suspension of AZ vaccinations.

Advice (medication) was given on radio this morning. Alas, I can’t say what as it’s against AAM posting guidelines.

If I had been vaccinated with AZ I’d be cancelling my holiday flights and taking a ferry somewhere instead.

However, the four cases in Norway are different.
All four are brain clots. Brain clots are rare and very serious. All four cases occurred in young people. Hence the need for immediate suspension of AZ vaccinations.

Have you got a link for this ?
I can't find that specific info anywhere.

Thanks for that - still not convinced on this evidence that wholesale postponement of millions of vaccinations is necessary.It is interesting that no other countries across the world are picking up these side-effects.
Check out Denmark

And Austria

Check out Denmark

And Austria

' Allegedly, ' " died" and ' many ' all doing a lot of heavy lifting in those stories.
This isn't though ...

" The information available so far indicates that the number of thromboembolic events in vaccinated people is no higher than that seen in the general population. "

We've seen a lot of speculation subsequently proved wrong in this vaccination roll-out which is why, in the absence of solid evidence, I find Ireland's decision excessive.
We shall see.
But based on the tens of millions of vaccines delivered without serious side-effect I have an idea where this one will go.

Back