Delays in closing on new apartment

scallywag

I'm waiting to move into a new apartment which I have signed contracts for. I'm back living with the parents now temporarily, as I've sold my previous apartment.

I've really been let up the garden path regarding the actual closing date. First the selling agents said August, then September. A few days ago I was invited for snagging, and was looking forward to getting everything sorted, but when I met the builder he said realistically it would be around Christmas before I could move in. Looking at the state of the common areas, I think he's right.

I'm hearing anecdotally that the is a common experience. Any ideas why is this? Can builders not estimate their work at all? Or are there vested interests at play here? Are the selling agents also to blame? OK the builders depend partially on the weather, but it's not as if bad weather is a new thing in Ireland.

I'm frustrated because with so much wrong information, a person can be left in limbo for the best part of a year! I don't see why the builder can't give a true, realistic closing date so purchasers can make their plans.

Thanks for any comments...

I was told August/September, eventually got to snag in December and was handed keys in late February.

As far as I'm aware, I don't know anyone who got their keys on time. It's a regular occurance I'm afraid but why, I can't say. May be just genuine delays?

Yes I know of someone who moved home to save money and is there over 6 months waiting for closure. I'd recommend renting until the apt is ready. And I wouldn't leave rented accomodation until I had the keys.

Back