Delays in accessing figures for HSE pension, never mind the pension itself

I’m not sure the burden should rest with the employee.

The state should be able to keep track of who it employs.
Hi NRC. One thing the state is good at is keeping records of its employees. Back in the 60s and 70s records were not computerised. Often public services employed temporary or casual people locally. These employees were paid locally also. Records kept of them could be an entry in a copy or note book only.

Very often casual or temporary workers had different PRSI numbers allocated even in the same employ. Worse again somebody called “White” could later use the surname “de Faoite” wherever and with different PRSI numbers.

Another anomaly:- Back in the 70s and into the 80s many women had their PRSI numbers changed to coincide with their husband’s number but with “F” added to differentiate between husband and wife.

So now we can have many people chasing service time for pension purposes under different surnames and different PPS numbers.

Welcome to my world. Apologies to anybody looking in who must be bored to death with history of some temporary and casual employment records lost or mislaid or sent to some storage facility from which they may never return.

When I joined a Public Service section in 1970 weekly payslips didn’t exist. We signed on payment for the money. Different Times!

Last edited:
Just a question on verification of previous service. What happens if previous employer has now wound up its operations in this country? And the pension amount as such has been transferred to a PRB held by likes of New Ireland, Irish Life etc. Where does one need to go to get proof of previous service?

I received the response below from Pensions - all previous PS transferred and certified. I retired on the 1st of October this year.

Your retirement benefits are being calculated at present. This process usually takes between 6 to 8 weeks after your last pay date. The retirement benefit goes through extra checks before being signed off by our Head of Services.Your pension will be paid by National Pension Payments on a monthly basis on the last working date of each month. Once your benefits are submitted for payment you will receive a final letter detailing your entitlements.

@partnership said:- "Not the case. I know loads of people who have had to wait months. They will give you 10k from lump sum if pushed. You have to give 6 months notice as well so that should give them time to get your service. If you are thinking about retiring and ask them for estimate you will be waiting forever."

1. (I'm repeating myself here) - It is up to the person retiring to have any previous relevant service from other employments to be supplied by (i) The Retiree and (ii) Former employer(s). The HSE must wait for the information to be supplied. For obvious reasons the HSE just needs proof of all previous service. I've had experience of asking new entrants to the Health Service to provide details of previous service from their former employer and in almost 100% of cases the process became drawn out and fault is not applicable to the Health Service. The important word here is "proof."
2. Again let me reiterate if no previous service is applicable and if there is delay suffered by retirees, it is nothing short of disgraceful.
3. If details of previous service are not provided accurate calculations for pension purposes cannot be made. With the paucity of information provided by several posters here just proves how awkward it can be to have any accurate information provided. So the easy target to point the finger at is the HSE, but there are four fingers pointing back at the complainant.
People I know personally either worked in hse bodies all their career or had already got service transferred so definitely the HSE were at fault. They need to give superannuation to the civil service to do for them.

@Sunnygirl69

The PRB provider should have all that information as it would have been asked on the application form and the Trustees of the original scheme would have had to sign/verify the application.

Gerard

www.prsa.ie
A big problem here is that a lot of brokers get annoyed when asked for these details, insisting that they're not needed at new business stage. The same brokers will then complain at retirement stage that these details weren't recorded.

I received the response below from Pensions - all previous PS transferred and certified. I retired on the 1st of October this year.

Your retirement benefits are being calculated at present. This process usually takes between 6 to 8 weeks after your last pay date. The retirement benefit goes through extra checks before being signed off by our Head of Services.Your pension will be paid by National Pension Payments on a monthly basis on the last working date of each month. Once your benefits are submitted for payment you will receive a final letter detailing your entitlements.
Update
I received benefit statement on 16th Nov so within the timescale. This is in HSE Galway

Back