Delayed salary payments

V

VenoBlanch

Hi there,

I was supposed to get paid last month's salary on the 31st of January. On that day - a Monday - we were told that we would actually get paid on Feb 2nd - the Wednesday.

No explanation was given for the delay.

On receipt of the cheque on Wednesday, I lodged it. When I went to withdraw funds from the account on Friday, I discovered the cheque had bounced.

I've been promised my money but - to date - I still haven't received my salary. We are due to get paid for Feb on the Monday 28th. If they still haven't paid me last month's salary, I'm doubtful if they will pay this month's.

Any suggestions on actions I should take - I have a mortgage to pay.

Thanks in advance

Get a new job! Quickly!!

It sounds like your employer might be having a few cash flow problems - regardless of whether you get paid this month, if its at all an option you should start looking for a new job...

Thanks Sherman,

I've already started looking around, believe me!

However, I was thinking that maybe I should hang on till the bitter end because:

1) I'll defo get redundancy,right?(I'm here over 2 years)

2) If they don't pay my salary, can I claim it off the government?

wages

You can make a claim to the Department of Enterprise Trade and Employment for non payment of wages.

If the employer has to make you redundant, and hasn't the necessary funds to pay your redundancy, DETE have a redudancy fund for defaulting employers.

You could speak informally with your boss as he is the one who has the best idea of what's gone wrong and whether you can expect your wages or not.

More information from DETE on 1890 201 615

Back