Delayed Departure - Claim Refused

Honeypie

My daughter & I recently flew to The Dominican Republic and took out Gold Travel Insurance with Allianz. We live in Dublin so had to fly to Gatwick for our onward connection with BA. Unfortunately, there was a serious technical fault with the aircraft and we were delayed 20 hours. Allianz have refused my claim stating the following ...
"Departure point: The airport, international train station or port where your outward journey to your destination begins and where your final journey back home begins (including any connecting transport you take later)" In view of the above, your departure point is the last flight out of Ireland and the last flight back into Ireland, therefore, we are regrettably unable to accept liability for your claim and no payment can be made as your flight was not delayed from its departure point."

This seems very unfair to me as I assumed our travel insurance covered us from the exact dates of our entire trip to the date of our return (including all flights etc.). Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or any advice to give. Many thanks :)

Hmmmm......Does the (including any connecting transport you take later) not cover the connecting flight? If that's the case it means that no-one covered on multi-leg flights. So if I am going on a cruise in Miami and I fly DUB-LON-MIAMI and there is a 20 hour delay on the LON-Miami leg and miss the cruise, I am not covered?? Is there specific travel insurance you need for multi leg trips?

Does the (including any connecting transport you take later) not cover the connecting flight?

That would be my reading of it too.

Might be interesting to phone them up as a potential customer and ask that question.

Hmmmm......Does the (including any connecting transport you take later) not cover the connecting flight? If that's the case it means that no-one covered on multi-leg flights. So if I am going on a cruise in Miami and I fly DUB-LON-MIAMI and there is a 20 hour delay on the LON-Miami leg and miss the cruise, I am not covered?? Is there specific travel insurance you need for multi leg trips?
That's my understanding from their response. When I took out the policy online and answered various questions, I was never asked if there were several flights involved & just assumed I was covered for the entire trip. I responded saying I'm not happy with their decision & want it reviewed. I was just curious to know if anyone else has been in a similar situation. Definitely worth checking out for future trips.

Definitely worth checking out for future trips.

I'd phone their sales line, pretending to be a prospective customer and ask them. If they say you'd be covered, then that should help decide your appeal in your favour.

Seems very unfair. Lots of long-haul flights from IRL involve connections via other hubs. Appeal to the Ombudsman, tho you might need to check T&C's to see what the procedures are for handling complaints.

Back