Dehumidifier recommendation

elcato

I'm looking for a decent one around the 150 - 200 or more depending for an apartment with limited windows and no outside clothes dryer. Any recommendations ?
Things I would be looking for
  1. Power consumption
  2. Noise reduction
  3. Automatic smart on/off as required
  4. Min 10L but probably 16 to 20L
  5. Water store > 2L
  6. Decent brand

I've a Dimplex one that does the job. I'd need to check model number, but it's 16l per day.
They're nice and compact compared to others. You'd get one for 200, or a little less. Plug it in, turn the dial to required humidity level, and that's it.

I used to have a Delonghi model which was much bigger, and heavier, had more settings, but did the same thing (until it broke). They tend to be more expensive.

From noise perspective, it's like having a loud fan constantly running. You're aware if it, but it doesn't drown anything else out.

They were both compressor based. Running costs depend on air humidity and temperature.

Your other options are Desiccant Dehumidifiers. They're supposed to be quieter, and operate more efficiently at lower temperatures. Ecoair is a brand that seems to be highly recommended, but I've no experience with this type.

Is the property adequately ventilated?
We use a brand called Sealey in work. They are intended for industrial use but they might do something suited to residential. We get them through Caulfield Industrial. I find them great to deal with so they should point you in the right direction if they don't do residential stuff themselves.

Another brand called Clarke do a 20L model called YDE20. I've never used this brand though, so know nothing about them. Once you can get a decent Warranty, it might be worth looking at.

I just ordered this on Black Friday as it was 25% off
EcoAir DD122FW-MK5 Classic Desiccant Dehumidifier with Ioniser and Silver Filter, 7 L
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008BZVCVM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The users on Boards.ie were raving about it and the reviews were very good too on Amazon

Just remember that dehumidifiers can cause lots of problems as well as taking some moisture from a building. I've seen good houses use them for whatever reason and the very nice expensive wallpaper on the walls going up stairs and the landing area had the moisture so well sucked out that the paste became a victim of its use and the wallpaper fell down all over the place. That's only one example.

Just remember that dehumidifiers can cause lots of problems as well as taking some moisture from a building. I've seen good houses use them for whatever reason and the very nice expensive wallpaper on the walls going up stairs and the landing area had the moisture so well sucked out that the paste became a victim of its use and the wallpaper fell down all over the place. That's only one example.

Good grief :confused::eek:

I've seen good houses use them for whatever reason and the very nice expensive wallpaper on the walls going up stairs and the landing area had the moisture so well sucked out that the paste became a victim of its use and the wallpaper fell down all over the place.

That's simply is not true. Wallpaper paste cures via evaporation, it can't be too dry. Once dry, the only way of breaking the bond is through the reintroduction of moisture, hence the use of steamers to remove wallpaper.

The most likely issues with low humidity levels are decorative wood shrinkage, or in some cases respiratory problems. But these are very, very unlikely in an area with limited ventilation and clothes being dried indoors.

Try Ebac dehumidifiers online. I got one 5 years ago for my house and it’s still working a treat. Great selection too.

I just ordered this on Black Friday as it was 25% off
EcoAir DD122FW-MK5 Classic Desiccant Dehumidifier with Ioniser and Silver Filter, 7 L
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008BZVCVM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The users on Boards.ie were raving about it and the reviews were very good too on Amazon

I also recommend this - I am in same situation as OP and this has been great. Really easy to move around and works a charm. Timer function works very well to leave on for a few hours over night at the night rate

Leo,
I accept you may not have had any problems and may never have any. However, the one problem I mentioned has happened a lot of people and as I sad, it's not just that incident either. I use dehumids regularily with putting in floors, painting, etc, I can assure you people need to be careful with these and if you think one just switches them on, empty them and off you go, you are very badly mistaken.

Leo,
I accept you may not have had any problems and may never have any. However, the one problem I mentioned has happened a lot of people and as I sad, it's not just that incident either.

No, I'm not saying I have never had this problem, I'm saying that what you are suggesting is just not possible. Bonding agents that cure via evaporation can not be compromised through lower humidity. Drying out further only strengthens the chemical bond.

Failing wallpaper is always as a result of excessive moisture in the air permeating the paper, or excessive moisture in the walls due to some failure in the building structure leading to eater ingress problems.

I went for the Meaco DD8L which was a bit lower spec as it's only 8L and 2L storage box. It's excellent for my needs though and use it for about an hour as required and it sucks everything up. Downsides are
No actual timer switch so cannot set it to come on at a certain times
Bigger than I thought but still very portable
Mouth like an Arab's sandal when switched on early morning for hour to clear the dew

Back