Degree Qualified - Pay Rise?

trebor

I've just receieved my final year results so next step is graduation. I was just wondering is it normal to expect a significant pay rise now that I am actually qualified. I've been working full-time for the past 2 years while finishing my degree part-time. Would this be purely at the discretion of the employer and would they possibly give a pay rise based on the grade awarded? I have to inform my employer upon receipt of my results so I'd like to know how best to approach them, i.e. "I got my degree so I feel I am worth €xxx now, etc". Any advice much appreciated.

I got my degree so I feel I am worth €xxx now, etc

Sorry, not what you want to hear, but I think your employer may laugh at that. Are you suddenly better at your job today than you were yesterday? Has your productivity improved? Will you be capable of taking on more duties etc?

Do your colleagues have equivalent qualifications, if so what (if any) is the differential between your current salary and theirs, assuming like for like experience?

Without knowing what area you are working in, it's hard to know, but what qualifications can give you are:
- better skills to do the job you are doing. You won't get paid any more, but it won't be as hard a job either, so you benefit by getting more money per ounce of brain effort.
- qualifying you for the next step up
- making it easier for you to get another job on higher pay

But, generally speaking, it doesn't work like the trades, where there are set rates for newly qualified tradesmen above part qualified ones.

If you are an accountant in practice, it is normal to get an increase in salary for qualifying, as the firm can charge a higher price for your services.

If you are a teacher, which seems unlikely, there are extra payments for additional degrees.

But if your degree now makes you overqualified for the job, it's unlikely that they will pay your more.

When I passed exams some years ago, my employer gave me cash payments which were tax free. You might investigate this and see if you can get such an award instead of a salary increase.

Brendan

Very unlikely you'll get anything in the current environment.
I'm just completing an MBA, you hear of people who doubled their salary in 2/3 years etc... if this ever happened it's certainly not happending now. My employer doesn;t remotely care that I've completed an MBA, - but they did pay for it, so I;m not complaining.

No, you are not due a raise.

I recently got my masters results (straight A's!) and would not expect an extra cent.

Thanks for the replies. I'm working as a Quantity Surveyor. I see it like this.....for the past 2 years I've been working 4 days a week (1 full day and 1 evening in college per week), except during summer time where I worked the 5 days. Now, I'm degree qualified and and more of a "full time" employee, where my main priority is work as opposed to college. My main boss has emphasised that college should be my priority over the last 2 years (because they've paid my fees) and I've done just that, got a 1.1 in my degree. Now, I can prioritise work. By prioritising college I have certainly not un-prioritised (?) work and have proven myself over the 2 years. I would certainly feel that I am worth more than I'm earning at the moment, not that I'm on bad money or anything like that. Annual pay review comes in January but as you all know, if you don't ask you won't get!!!

Agree that there's no harm in asking. But it's the market the really decides what your worth. Your employer won't pay you substantially more than you'd get elsewhere.

.I'm working as a Quantity Surveyor.

Are you a member of the professional body that represents QS's? It is possible that your newly attained professional status may help you negotiate a higher salary with your employers.

Are you a member of the professional body that represents QS's? It is possible that your newly attained professional status may help you negotiate a higher salary with your employers.

No I'm not chartered (Society of Chartered Surveyors). That's a 2 year process which I may or may not undertake.

I have 3 degrees in my field...the most recent being a PhD. Only 1 of 5 in the country with a PhD in my field. No pay rise.....

Thanks for the replies. I'm working as a Quantity Surveyor. I see it like this.....for the past 2 years I've been working 4 days a week (1 full day and 1 evening in college per week), except during summer time where I worked the 5 days. Now, I'm degree qualified and and more of a "full time" employee, where my main priority is work as opposed to college. My main boss has emphasised that college should be my priority over the last 2 years (because they've paid my fees) and I've done just that, got a 1.1 in my degree. Now, I can prioritise work. By prioritising college I have certainly not un-prioritised (?) work and have proven myself over the 2 years. I would certainly feel that I am worth more than I'm earning at the moment, not that I'm on bad money or anything like that. Annual pay review comes in January but as you all know, if you don't ask you won't get!!!

For the last two years your employer has invested in you by allowing you to take up to 20% of your time away from your job (and they paid the bills) and now you want to ask them for a pay rise?!:eek:

I think you will find in the current market that your employer will not want to give you a pay rise (most are cutting staff).

They may also take the view they helped to support you through your exams by paying your fee’s and the first thing you ask for is a payrise. I wouldn’t be happy if I was your employer.

Construction employers are not under pressure to retain staff as it is difficult for a QS to find a new role in Ireland at the moment.

Saying that you are in the right industry to negotiate a payrise for yourself, but if was me I would sit tight until review time

For the last two years your employer has invested in you by allowing you to take up to 20% of your time away from your job (and they paid the bills) and now you want to ask them for a pay rise?!:eek:

Think about what you're saying. I was employed on the basis that I would work 4 days a week, therefore my salary was calculated accordingly. In fact, I did 25% EXTRA time during the summer months where I worked 5 days instead of 4! You think that paying fees and working 4 days isn't taking into consideration when calculating a salary?! :eek:

I think you will find in the current market that your employer will not want to give you a pay rise (most are cutting staff).

They may also take the view they helped to support you through your exams by paying your fee’s and the first thing you ask for is a payrise. I wouldn’t be happy if I was your employer.

Construction employers are not under pressure to retain staff as it is difficult for a QS to find a new role in Ireland at the moment.

Saying that you are in the right industry to negotiate a payrise for yourself, but if was me I would sit tight until review time

Thanks for the constructive advice. I think I'll wait for review time so as to not rock the boat just yet!

Back